PM29 spindle sizes
The thread looking for a source for a 1-1/4" spindle for a PM29 (posted by pescadoman360) got me looking at that shaper.

At least for the version sold by SouthernTool, it comes new with 3 different spindle sizes: 3/4", 1", and 1-1/4".

Why would a shaper come with 3 different spindles?

Are there advantages to the different spindle sizes?

Other than my ShopSmith's I haven't really looked into shapers. So, I am a newb on this tool.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
When I started looking, the general opinion was that 3/4 tools are much cheaper and more available, but not as suitable for swinging larger cutters.
(04-21-2022, 11:39 PM)iclark Wrote: Why would a shaper come with 3 different spindles?

Are there advantages to the different spindle sizes?

Why: because many people may be upgrading shapers from a smaller one and have different size shaper cutters already in different bores.  I have some 1/2" bore cutters from my 1st shaper.  I also have a number of 3/4" bore cutters and a few 1.25" bore cutters.  The big ones have much more mass to them along with a larger price tag associated with them.  I'm not pumping stuff through the shaper 8 hours a day so I have a hard time justifying the additional cost for large bore cutters.  The majority of my cutters are 3/4" bore and they've worked just fine for me.
My 2 cents.
(04-22-2022, 08:00 PM)hcbph Wrote: Why: because many people may be upgrading shapers from a smaller one and have different size shaper cutters already in different bores.  I have some 1/2" bore cutters from my 1st shaper.  I also have a number of 3/4" bore cutters and a few 1.25" bore cutters.  The big ones have much more mass to them along with a larger price tag associated with them.  I'm not pumping stuff through the shaper 8 hours a day so I have a hard time justifying the additional cost for large bore cutters.  The majority of my cutters are 3/4" bore and they've worked just fine for me.
My 2 cents.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.