Worn Bandsaw Blades
Question 
Any decent use for dull/worn-out bandsaw blades?

Or just toss ‘em?
Hi Cian,

Interesting question. My short answer is I can't think of one, however the only usage I can remember hearing about was on this forum in the Hand Tools section. Derek Cohen, master hand tool furniture maker from Perth, Australia relayed a technique for "plunging" the sawcuts in half blind dovetails. Said he got it from a well-known now deceased woodworker named Tage Frid. Tage developed this method using a section of a bandsaw blade, as the story goes. The section was thin enough with a blunt edge that rather than slicing the wood fibers, possibly causing a split and spoiling the joint, actually compressed the fibers. This then allowed the relief necessary to clear the waste for the tails.

I know that is not the answer you were probably looking for, but it's the only one I can come up with. 
Yes 

I'm certain more knowledgeable woodworkers than I will come along with more practical suggestions.

Glad to see you posting on the forum again!

Doug
(04-22-2022, 10:39 PM)Cian Wrote: Any decent use for dull/worn-out bandsaw blades?

Or just toss ‘em?

I have made a few detail and other specific blades for carving knives from some.
They are hard to grinc/shape but hold adecent edge and work quite well for some applications.
Ed
I have used pieces of wider blades to make scratch stick cutters.  

John
Otherwise, how does one do safe disposal of a used bandsaw blade?  Do you fold it up and tape it?  I can’t imagine putting it into our city garbage bin for collection by the trash truck.  I guess I could put into the metal recycle dumpster at our local city recycle place.

I’d enjoy hearing what others do with old blades,

Thanks,
Dave
(04-25-2022, 10:46 PM)djcook50 Wrote: Otherwise, how does one do safe disposal of a used bandsaw blade?  Do you fold it up and tape it?  I can’t imagine putting it into our city garbage bin for collection by the trash truck.  I guess I could put into the metal recycle dumpster at our local city recycle place.

I’d enjoy hearing what others do with old blades,

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, that's what I do, coil them up and tape over the teeth, or put them into a sealed cardboard box. 

John
(04-22-2022, 10:39 PM)Cian Wrote: Any decent use for dull/worn-out bandsaw blades?

Or just toss ‘em?

Use them in your scratch stocks, or as Tage Frid suggested, in print, over 30 years ago - to finish the pin cuts into the corners on half-blind dovetails (tap in with a hammer) .  He used a wide resaw blade.

Or just toss ‘em?

Sharpen them yourself unless they are worn beyond salvaging...If they can't be sharpened, make wood carving knives out of them..Or marking knives. You will probably have to harden and temper them because some blades only have a hardened tooth-line. And you can make scratch-stock blades in different shapes.You don't usually need to harden them. Test their hardness with a sharp file.You want them to be just barely "file-able".
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Some years ago I recall someone cutting them in 5-6" long strips then ganging them together side by side and attaching a handle to make a rasp of sorts. He(She?) may have alternated the direction of the teeth to control the aggressiveness of the cut. At least that's what I remember.

Edit: Google sent me here: HOW TO MAKE A RASP WITH BROKEN BAND SAW BLADE

gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(04-27-2022, 04:24 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Some years ago I recall someone cutting them in 5-6" long strips then ganging them together side by side and attaching a handle to make a rasp of sorts. He(She?) may have alternated the direction of the teeth to control the aggressiveness of the cut. At least that's what I remember.

Edit: Google sent me here: HOW TO MAKE A RASP WITH BROKEN BAND SAW BLADE

gary
That's a neat idea..I think the blade he is using is one for metal cutting with maybe 12PPI. You could make all the aluminum parts out of a hard wood and the spacers could be made of of pieces of bandsaw blade with the teeth ground off, and held in position with epoxy glue if they can't be tightened securely enough.Don't glue the blade package in the channel stock and it could be removed and replaced with a sharper pack when worn out. That way you would not have to make a completely new tool...just the blade package insert.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset