Paul Sellers sharpening system, which diamond stones?
Ok, let me try to do with this with my buttery fingers...........

Totally agree with Derek re: a 300 stone is where you go to rehabilitate an edge otherwise the tool is WAY overdue.

A concave bevel is whack, to put it bluntly. Well, unless you really like the wedge effect and driving your chisel backward?

Whatever he does obviously works, but I think he's relying on the 30-40 vigorous strop strokes to achieve an edge. But, who's going to argue with someone who's been doing it what, is it, 150 years? No, 50 years. LOL.

I attended a conference for my profession many years ago and this young guy was up to speak and made this comment:

"I see a lot of grey hair and missing hair, I'm guessing there is 1000 years of experience in this room. My message today is you can have a lot of experience doing something the wrong way."

So true, we can do something inefficiently or even wrong, and through experience all we've done is add things to correct the errors, instead of doing it right from the start.

IMO that's what Mr. Sellers 30-50 strokes on a strop is doing.
(05-03-2022, 06:48 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I am happy to be corrected, but the question pondered is why then recommend starting with 300 grit each time?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm also curious about that.  I assume it has something to do with the bevel not being hollow ground.  With hollow grind you go back
to the course grit when the honing surface gets too large.
(Yesterday, 01:29 PM)maswindell Wrote: I think you should contact DMT about diamond plates wearing out, they just don't wear like waterstones. My plates coarse, fine, extra fine are over 20 years old and are still dead flat and sharpen my knives, chisels just fine thank you. I'm glad I bought the diamond plates so long ago as everything has increased in price dramatically. I think I paid $40 each.

I pulled the trigger on buying that 3 plate system. Best Sharpening Stones website has 8 x 3 Ultra Sharp brand 3 Stone Kit for 117 bucks.
It got lots of good reviews from users on YT. 
So far, to be honest,  I'm getting inconsistent results from using the Paul Sellers method.  The stones are great, it's my skill level that needs work/practice.
I get great results using a honing guide that's how I know it's not the stones.  
Laugh

I don't regret buying them, they'll get plenty of use, and I'm determined to master sharpening by hand just because. 
Once I do then I'll find a quicker, mechanical way of doing this.   
On a side note I removed this motor from wife's old treadmill yesterday which we were trashing.  

[Image: 52101010703_6bda7b53e7_w.jpg]