Paul Sellers sharpening system, which diamond stones?
(06-23-2022, 05:41 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: A little surprised by that Japanese woodworker. Sawing looked pretty sloppy. I think he didn’t attack the line like I would have, which resulted in a lot of paring, some of which also didn’t look that good. If you watch closely you can see that chisel submarining. He undercut a couple sharpie marks. This is why I tell people not to rely on bevel up paring.

Totally agree with your (collective) points tho. The chisel looks flat or convex and the wood obviously doesn’t care. Doesn’t look ridiculously sharp tho, but totally acceptable.

I watched the video. I don't think it is a Japanese woodworker. And I agree that the chisels are none to sharp.
(06-24-2022, 06:04 PM)wmickley Wrote: I watched the video. I don't think it is a Japanese woodworker. And I agree that the chisels are none to sharp.

Warren is correct.  That is from Indonesia.
It's all wood.
The guy's probably sawing and chiseling some Indonesian native species that's five kajillion on the Janka scale.
(06-25-2022, 02:47 PM)CStan Wrote: The guy's probably sawing and chiseling some Indonesian native species that's five kajillion on the Janka scale.

Or maybe he learned his sharpening by watching Paul Sellers on U-Tube.
(06-25-2022, 02:47 PM)CStan Wrote: The guy's probably sawing and chiseling some Indonesian native species that's five kajillion on the Janka scale.

Didn’t look like it to me. Looked like lauan.

I checked out his older videos. 2 yrs ago he was doing pretty rough work, in what looked like pretty tough conditions.

I guess Warren and I need to get past the fact that people make YouTube videos regardless of their expertise, skill, knowledge etc. In our day, teachers were the best at what they did. But these kinds of folks aren’t claiming expertise. How to videos etc are all just entertainment. I guess I feel that cheapens actual experts’ videos.

And our, ok my, minuscule subject matter expertise, isn’t well represented on the Internet. I find something a bit lacking about most ww videos I see. But that doesn’t stop me from watching and enjoying them.

Last, there’s also a generation of folks who celebrate everything they do. Best example I have is the blogger named Julie who cooked a Julia Child recipe every day for a year. They made a movie about it called “Julie and Julia”. Only, Julia wasn’t impressed by the blogger. She seemed to think it was a stunt, not a true appreciation for the food, techniques, life style, any of the things Julia was attempting to communicate. Like Julie missed the point. That’s exactly how I feel about some woodworkers.
(06-26-2022, 07:26 AM)wmickley Wrote: Or maybe he learned his sharpening by watching Paul Sellers on U-Tube.

Yes
[Image: 9-E46-B9-BF-6635-4874-BC38-31-B8-D55-A10...5005-c.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-26-2022, 09:24 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Didn’t look like it to me. Looked like lauan.

I checked out his older videos. 2 yrs ago he was doing pretty rough work, in what looked like pretty tough conditions.

I guess Warren and I need to get past the fact that people make YouTube videos regardless of their expertise, skill, knowledge etc. In our day, teachers were the best at what they did. But these kinds of folks aren’t claiming expertise. How to videos etc are all just entertainment. I guess I feel that cheapens actual experts’ videos.

And our, ok my, minuscule subject matter expertise, isn’t well represented on the Internet. I find something a bit lacking about most ww videos I see. But that doesn’t stop me from watching and enjoying them.

Last, there’s also a generation of folks who celebrate everything they do. Best example I have is the blogger named Julie who cooked a Julia Child recipe every day for a year. They made a movie about it called “Julie and Julia”. Only, Julia wasn’t impressed by the blogger. She seemed to think it was a stunt, not a true appreciation for the food, techniques, life style, any of the things Julia was attempting to communicate. Like Julie missed the point. That’s exactly how I feel about some woodworkers.

Agree!! But unfortunately you have to wade through tons of chaff to find the wheat..There's lots of good, instructional Youtube videos out there and some excellent presenters, but there's also lots of young wannabees, particularly in the field of tool sharpening...Some of them are downright laughable. If you have been around a while, they're pretty easy to spot..I could name a few of them that are more entertaining {to me} than instructional.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-26-2022, 09:24 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Didn’t look like it to me. Looked like lauan.

Until Warren starts posting videos, the pikers on YouTube are all we have for occasional entertainment.  Shall I hold my breath?

Otherwise, we just take our scolding and come back for more. I sure hope that somebody in his immediate orbit is benefiting from all the knowledge. If they are, they've yet to appear on any of the relevant woodworking forums. Surely there's an apprentice, employee, son, or daughter in the woodpile ready to be allowed to come up for air and enlighten us all. I'd hate to think that nobody has witnessed, or is witnessing, all the virtuosity first hand. It must be quite a site to see. I get jealous thinking about it. Part of the tradition is passing knowledge along to the next generation. Perhaps it's time for an introduction to whoever will be carrying the mantle of his greatness.

I propose that we take up a collection to hire a video crew (I'm pretty sure somebody at Fine Woodworking would be willing to get involved), and of course pay Warren for his time, to walk us all through, in real time (no editing), how he four-squares rough stock and cuts a sample of basic joints -- a couple variations of mortise and tenon, dovetailing a drawer, etc. With the speed at which he works, we're probably talking easily less than a half day of filming. I'd certainly chip in a few hundred bucks. If others would as well, he could easily make something in four figures for less than a day's worth of light work.
I think I will just stay hidden away in The Dungeon Woodshop....although, I have been woodworking since I was in Junior High School ( and I am 69 at the moment)  just about as long as either Warren, or Sellers....

last 2 projects have been in Spalted Maple....there have been a few in Ash, and even a couple in Red Oak.....

Sharpening?    I have my own ways, that work for what I do.....and..I would much rather spend 99% of my shop time working with the wood, then worrying about  how perfect the edge is....or who made the tools I am using.....and, my shop is also known as a Hybrid Shop.....as I tend to use whatever tool I feel will get the task I need to do..done. 

The ONLY reason I do not have a shop full of the best ( largest) power tools and their jigs......space....or, rather lack of....shop is in a Basement, right under the Boss and Mine's bedroom room.....would you rather listen to a screaming 15" wide planer....or a Stanley No. 8c doing the same job.....

Now, if everybody doesn't mind..I need to go and update that little build-along post....Maybe later today, I might try to install the lid onto that chest?

and...

You all are welcome to stop by and visit the shop.....anytime
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(06-26-2022, 11:49 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I think I will just stay hidden away in The Dungeon Woodshop....although, I have been woodworking since I was in Junior High School ( and I am 69 at the moment)  just about as long as either Warren, or Sellers....

last 2 projects have been in Spalted Maple....there have been a few in Ash, and even a couple in Red Oak.....

Sharpening?    I have my own ways, that work for what I do.....and..I would much rather spend 99% of my shop time working with the wood, then worrying about  how perfect the edge is....or who made the tools I am using.....and, my shop is also known as a Hybrid Shop.....as I tend to use whatever tool I feel will get the task I need to do..done. 

The ONLY reason I do not have a shop full of the best ( largest) power tools and their jigs......space....or, rather lack of....shop is in a Basement, right under the Boss and Mine's bedroom room.....would you rather listen to a screaming 15" wide planer....or a Stanley No. 8c doing the same job.....

Now, if everybody doesn't mind..I need to go and update that little build-along post....Maybe later today, I might try to install the lid onto that chest?

and...

You all are welcome to stop by and visit the shop.....anytime
Not a bad idea...particularly since it's getting a little snarky in here.
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset