DeWalt Track Saw Guides
Hello,
I previously had and the 102" (DWS5023) track saw guide along with my corded Dewalt Track saw.  I used a 59" for my shorter cuts.  I recently sold that saw and the two tracks to a friend.  My plan was to just go buy the 60v cordless version along with new tracks.  Little did I know that there are virtually no Dewalt cordless track saws or 102" guides on the market right now.  Very frustrating.

Anyway, my question is how well does the DeWalt track system work when you join two shorter tracks vs. the one long track?  Is it worth the extra 100 bucks to get the longer track?  

Thanks,

deck
Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I'm old school, mainly because I'm old and started young. The first real woodworking job that i had taught me the bulk of my skills and most of my knowledge. This was way back in the day, before cordless tools were affordable. We made our own straight edge guides to be used with circular saws and routers. I cannot justify the expense of a track saw and tracks. I made set of 1/2" thick plywood straight edges 34 years ago and they are still straight and flat today. Soon, I will be making a 12' version. I can use them with any make/model of saw or router. They are not brand specific.

Again, just my 2 cenys
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I'll offer my experience with the Festool tracks. I could never get 2 shorter tracks to be perfectly straight without some fiddling, often time consumong fiddling. So I would up buying the 106" (or whatever it is) track. The most common advice to get the 2 shorter tracks stright is to use a long level to span the joint and then clamp them down. That's kind of a 3 handed job....or at least it was to me. Festool warns to not butt the 2 joined ends together, so you need to leave a gap of about 1/16" (+/-) since there's no guarantee the ends are perfectly square. If they were the job would be a lot easier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
FWIW......I had a deck/porch project last summer and wanted a track saw to cut long runs of fascia and deck boards. I bought 55" Powertec rails and when joined the rails were acceptably straight. The Powertec rails I use are the Makita/Festool type but they also make a Dewalt version. Got them on Amazon...a good deal less expensive than the branded tracks.
Thanks for your comments guys.
Wink 
For me the answer boils down to : do you need the portability of shorter tracks ?

If you're shop based and have a long section of wall, ect... to store a 100" + rail , then that's the way to go.  And, you've got room in your shop to manuver a long rail .     If you need portability, short rails are the only way to go.  

Re: joining two rails - it boils down to mentality and skill.   Two rails joined can give more than acceptable results with little effort.   We've been using two rails joined to machine cabinet parts and panels for near on 30 years now.  These parts are imported from Europe and cost thousands each.  In addition, the lead time was three mo. before covid.  So..............there's little / no room for error or poor quality cuts.    And we don't need fancy jigs, alignment tools, two workers ect..... to accomplish the task.     I will tell you that TSO's rail connectors have made things slightly faster and easier, but the plain ol Festool connectors work fine.
(04-26-2022, 07:10 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll offer my experience with the Festool tracks. I could never get 2 shorter tracks to be perfectly straight without some fiddling, often time consumong fiddling. So I would up buying the 106" (or whatever it is) track. The most common advice to get the 2 shorter tracks stright is to use a long level to span the joint and then clamp them down. That's kind of a 3 handed job....or at least it was to me. Festool warns to not butt the 2 joined ends together, so you need to leave a gap of about 1/16" (+/-) since there's no guarantee the ends are perfectly square. If they were the job would be a lot easier.

They're only aluminum...  run them across your TS on a 90 deg sled....
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
It works in a pinch but if you consistently need the length the only way to go is having the longer rail. IMO
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(04-26-2022, 06:29 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: It works in a pinch but if you consistently need the length the only way to go is having the longer rail. IMO

Not if you’re working all across town or the country.
I decided to give Festool a try.  I ordered their new thin kerf saw kit with an extra 55” track.  I’ll try their new track connector.  I can always add a long track.  At least they have inventory available.  

Thanks,

deck