Some Shop Maintenance Stuff
I am between projects at the moment and am enjoying a break from WW (yes, you read that right). But I can't break free from the hold that my shop has on me, so I look for things to fix. To wit, my 50+ year old Craftsman Bench Grinder. This was badly in need of new bearings and when I had it torn apart, I decided to do a complete refurbishment. I get a gold star for spending only the last weekend accomplishing this task (beats the 7 months spent on my last project). These types of projects are great in that they provide immediate gratification (again, unlike my last 7 month project). Some old American Cast Aluminum, brought back to life:

[Image: IMG-3278.jpg]" />
That is an awesome refurbishment!
(04-25-2022, 05:01 PM)fyrfytr998 Wrote: That is an awesome refurbishment!

Yes, great job. 

I have always been impressed at how both simple and durable those grinders are plus they are very smooth and quiet (at least when they get a new set of bearings).

(04-25-2022, 10:54 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Yes, great job. 

I have always been impressed at how both simple and durable those grinders are plus they are very smooth and quiet (at least when they get a new set of bearings).

Bob:

Thanks! I was amazed at how simple this device was, particularly the absence of a centrifugal switch and start capacitor (which the relay takes care of). Its pretty bullet-proof, although sourcing that relay if it does fail may not be easy. I was able to source Japanese made NSK bearings from Amazon of all places: $5.99 apiece.

By the way, everything I know about bearings, I owe to you. When I first started this journey of machine tool refurbishment, I knew next to nothing about the care and feeding of bearings. You have provided guidance which has been invaluable, and I thank you for sharing your expertise and wisdom.

Best, Phil
You did a nice job. It's amazing how long most things when you keep up the maintenance. My oldest tool is a 1955 Powermatic 12 inch planer. Cuts like a champ.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled