Stainless steel
Do you know which alloy? Some SS alloys are made specifically to be kinder to machining operations. Some SS alloys will just spit out long, continuous chips, which causes the drill bit (and the steel) to heat up to undesirable temps. My senior project in college was machinability of stainless steels.

As mentioned above, cutting oil, high quality drill bit, and slower speed is your friend.

This may help:
http://www.norsemandrill.com/feeds-speeds-drill.php
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-26-2022, 07:55 PM)EdL Wrote: Shaun nailed it....depends on the grade.

Ed
Yep...and it may also help if you knock back a little rake angle on the drill...this will make the edge stronger...kinda like micro beveling a plane blade or chisel if it wont hold an edge..keep it cool with fluid...Tap Magic is good but expensive. Carbon steel bits used in woodworking wont work...too soft...HSS only with 5% cobalt is best but $$$.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I bought some small stainless steel lid supports, and was trying to adapt them to my purpose. In the end, I got some 1/16 X 3/8 aluminum strap and made my own. Which is what I should have done in the first place.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.