Stainless steel
I have some small stainless steel straps I need to drill. I need a 9/64" hole, but I fear I am going to burn up every drill bit I have trying to drill these things. Is there a secret to drilling stainless that I need to know about? 

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
How thick are the straps? No metallurgist here but I don't think stainless steel is necessarily difficult to drill unless it's been hardened. Maybe someone with more detailed information will come along.

Doug
The biggest thing I can tell you is to push hard. Hopefully you can do this in a drill press, but otherwise, push hard.

If you're not removing chips, then you're just rubbing on the stainless, and that's not good.

And don't think that spinning the drill faster & faster is making anything any better.
How many do you need to drill?

Get some GOOD drill bits.  Use some oil.  Drill press if possible.

As mentioned stainless can be soft or hard, depending on treatment.  Test and see what you've got.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Quote:Is there a secret to drilling stainless that I need to know about? 

Cobalt drill bits and cutting fluid is your friend.
You can use flux to help
As mentioned, it will go better with a drill press using steady pressure, slow speed, and lube. Also, if you have a lot to do and the bit gets dull quickly, sharpen it rather than throwing it away. That size cobalt drill is under $5. So, I guess it depends on how many holes you need and how quickly they dull.
Use cutting oil and don’t let it get hot. Slow rotation high feed rate. Some Stainless gets tough, if not impossible if it work hardens. If you keep it cool, use cutting oil and a halfway decent bit you will pop right through. If it’s 303 you’ll buzz through. 304 could suck a bit, 316 may require adult beverages.
Shaun nailed it....depends on the grade.

Ed
(04-26-2022, 07:06 PM)Shaun Wrote: If it’s 303 you’ll buzz through. 304 could suck a bit, 316 may require adult beverages.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop