Another table build?
Updates...been a bit busy....Clamps came off the other day....and the base was sat up to dry it's feet..

Why?  Well, there was a Gulley-Washer in the area, and then the Dungeon Creek decided to rise...

Wanted to see how well the drawer front fit...it didn't...had a high spot about in the center..

HAD...it is now on the floor...test fit #3..

I think that will do.   Tried the drawer sides...same story...but with a twist....those corner glue blocks hang a tad too low...hmmm, move things around a bit, set up the rip fence on the tablesaw, peel a blade's width off...then to the bench vise...

And joint both to the same width, and remove the saw marks....NOW they slide in with ease.. 

Re-arrange the shop a bit...tablesaw out of the way, drag out a very different sort of table...

Router table, uses the same fence as the tablesaw....even has start & STOP marks..

I worked both ends of the drawer front...

Used these as a pattern to lay out and cut some tails..

A few dry fits along the way...until both front corners were done..

Hybrid Shop = Hybrid dovetails.....I just might get the hang of these...someday. 

That little "step" between the front and the side....is at the top of the drawer...that went the drawer slides in, those low hanging corner  blocks will also act as "STOPS" to keep the drawer from sliding in to far.  

Next on the to-do list?   Grooves and dados....

Stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Grooves for the drawer bottom have been ploughed..

1/4" x 1/4"...front and both sides...

dados were milled...

The 71-1/2  was to level the dado's bottom..

Dry fit to get the drawer back to the right size..was too tall and wide...finally able to slide the drawer into the table...check for square..

Clip the back bottom corners...

These help start the drawer into it's opening....went to size the plywood for the bottom panel...panel on hand was too narrow..trip to Lowes before they close..
1/4" x 24" x 24" panel.....that I can cut down to the size I need....

Dry fit only...no glue or screws..yet.  

Need counter sunk holes in the dados to hold the back, along with the glue....Need to glue and clamp things together....set aside so I can work on other tasks  to make this a table....

Stay tuned..film at 2300 hrs..I hope...
I don't recall ever seeing that drawer clip in any of your builds before.  Very interesting.  Is that something you did to address something specific for this table?
Have always done that to the drawers I  build....it is a way to help start a full drawer into it's opening....when you can't see where the bottom corners are hitting.

Some get sawn....others.. a chisel will form that bevel....sometimes as a slight curve..
Cleaned the bench off, today..

needed a couple tools...

Because I needed to drill and countersink a few holes...

And double checked the back for length...once that was trimmed...

Glue, clamps and screws...that combo square was to draw a line...once I checked the drawer for square..

The bottom get glued to the back, and then a line of screws added..

Then I can set the drawer aside, until tomorrow.  

Base needed screws added to the back two corner blocks..

Proper screws, needed waxed threads, and a proper screwdriver...by North Brothers, NOT a Stanley.

Slotted holes needed drilled..

and drawer guides installed..

was a busy 90 minutes in the shop, today..
Will have to wait a day, or two..but...

We are getting there...slowly..
<sound of applause>
That's gonna look great with some finish to pop that grain!

Well done!
</sound of applause>
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
1st coat of Amber Shellac..PIP..No.1

PIP #2..

Needs a rub down with 0000 steel wool and a second coat..

PIP #3...and yes I did shellac the drawer..

At least one more coat of shellac, then some varnish as a top coat..or 2?

This table only stands 21" tall, counting the top...Top is a 20" x 20" square...This is NOT a large table...will have to see where it will fit in best..

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
(05-12-2022, 05:59 PM)bandit571 Wrote: At least one more coat of shellac, then some varnish as a top coat..or 2?
Or even 10 or 15 more coats couldn't hurt!
Big Grin

I think french polish, it's the best type of finish for looks, but not too durable.

How are you applying it, are you using a pad? I have some special linen cloth that Stephen Shepard (R.I.P.) recommended I use, I bought it from a sewing shop that sold fabric in my area. Not a lot of those places left anymore...

I think it looks great. What do you plan to do with it? Night stand? Living Room? Entry? Chess/Checkers table?
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
2nd shellac coat was rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and wiped down..

1 st coat of "Warm Gloss" Poly has been brushed on...waiting to see how it turns out..

Use?  Maybe a smaller plant stand/table for the Gazebo?  Drawer would hold the coasters to set me Guinness on...?

Will see how the finish turns out...may bring the table upstairs for the final photo shoot?

Need to add a "bumper" to the back of the drawer...drawer goes in a bit too far...