Glue for veneer
Unibond 800 sounds good, and I’ll probably try it. I noticed that Google found quite a number of failed veneer bonds from people new to it in around 2012-2015 or so. Does anyone know of a bad batch, or a trick to using it that might explain the discrepancy?
(04-29-2022, 12:53 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I said the same thing to the DAP person I talked with and they said it was still on the website so people could access the MSDS info.  You may find an odd container for sale here or there, but it hasn't been made for "several years" so when the inventory is gone, it's gone.  

I liked using PRG because I could get it from Amazon for a good price, delivered to my door.  But the switch (actually back) to Unibond 800 has been seamless for me.  It has less odor, is easier to mix, and clean up with soap and water is easier, too.  Best of all, it cures a lot faster.  The only downside is it costs more.  

John

Thx.  I hate change.  
Laugh
My idea for a glue might be absurd but have any of you tried superglue or gorilla glue?

From what I know it usually makes everything stick big time and even personal experience.
Report me if I post links.
(04-30-2022, 09:11 AM)woodholic999 Wrote: My idea for a glue might be absurd but have any of you tried superglue or gorilla glue?

From what I know it usually makes everything stick big time and even personal experience.

Gorilla glue is a very good choice for veneer work, as mentioned earlier, except for the cleanup.  Superglue would be very difficult to use on a large surface and cost prohibitive.  

John
Thank you, one must be very careful with it or they might have themselves stuck in the process of implementing its properties haha.
Report me if I post links.
(04-29-2022, 09:17 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Here's the MSDS for Unibond 800:  Link.  Draw your own conclusions.  

I don't wear a respirator mixing, sanding, etc.  

John

Thanks will give it a try. I notice they sell ting as well as different color hardeners.  Is it better to just get different shades of hardener to just tint the light hardener to get the shade you want?
WoodCentral is broke so I am trying here.  We shall see what I can screw up posting....I learned vacuum veneering in the 4 generation Mack Headley Period Furniture shop in Winchester, Virginia.  They use white glue for veneering and I have used it for the past 10 years for vacuum veneering without any problems.  If the picture is successful  it will show an example.  
Well, apparently not.  No idea how get a picture from desk top to this site.  Well....maybe

Attached Files Image(s)

Bill Tindall
(04-30-2022, 09:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Gorilla glue is a very good choice for veneer work, as mentioned earlier, except for the cleanup.  Superglue would be very difficult to use on a large surface and cost prohibitive.  

John

"Super Glue", cyanoacrylate adhesive is not a permanent wood adhesive.  The bond will fail eventually, the time depending on temperature and humidity.
Bill Tindall
(04-30-2022, 09:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Gorilla glue is a very good choice for veneer work, as mentioned earlier, except for the cleanup.  Superglue would be very difficult to use on a large surface and cost prohibitive.  

John

I'd think would be difficult to control the 'how much' with Gorilla poly.
(04-30-2022, 02:59 PM)Bill Tindall Wrote: "Super Glue", cyanoacrylate adhesive is not a permanent wood adhesive.  The bond will fail eventually, the time depending on temperature and humidity.

I read that a lot, but someone forgot to tell the handrail returns I have glued with it.  They are still holding strong, some for almost 10 years now.  

John