Sanding
What grit of paper do you use for the final sanding before finishing? Does it depend on the finish?  The wood?

Thank  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(04-28-2022, 04:37 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: What grit of paper do you use for the final sanding before finishing? Does it depend on the finish?  The wood?

Thank  Greg

Depends on the wood to me.  I'll sand oak to 150 and call it done... 220 for cherry, or something with similar closed grain.  More important to me to get rid of the 'heavier' grit sanding marks.
(04-28-2022, 04:37 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: What grit of paper do you use for the final sanding before finishing? Does it depend on the finish?  The wood?

Thank  Greg

What KC said.  Coarse grain doesn't require as high a grit as fine.  Both, however, benefit with hand sanding along the grain as final, so that scratches will blend with the grain pattern.  FWIW, photography says we resolve ~300 medium line pairs per inch at close view.  Means CAMI 320 (P 400) is as low as we should need to go.

If you're applying a surface, rather than a penetrating finish, it will "fill" the fine scratches. 

Between coats, I go with the 320/400. finer is polishing, not levelling.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I pretty much do as suggested above....generally 180 is where I'll stop. Looking at the wood under a bright light that shines at a steep angle will reveal any remaining scratch marks (works with finish as well, for streaks and brush marks). Wiping it with MS will give you a look the wood wil have once finish is applied, adn also reveal any errant glue spots.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.