Apply finish before assembly?
Hi folks, I am really new at this. I’ve tried to finish a lot of different little projects in the past but never really achieved a result that made me happy. I’m trying to get a little more serious and I’m going to start with a simple side table for the back porch using some plans from a YouTube guy. The table will be made out of 1x3 pine from Lowes. The top and shelf underneath will be made of slats that are 1/4” or 3/8” apart. I assume that I need to finish the slats before I attach them to the base, is that correct?

Since pine blotches easily should I just use tinted shellac to achieve a brownish gray or should I use a brown stain on the wood and use black tinted shellac to layer gray on top of it? Or should it be the other way around (color wise) or should I use stain for both colors, try to mix a stain of the color I want, or use tinted shellac layering two different colors or one shellac with both brown and gray? I’m not looking for a perfect answer but it seems like I have about eight different options and I’d rather choose from the best options and avoid the worst options.

Also, I’ve read here that the Sherwin Williams A100 tint base is a potentially viable clear top coat that will expand and contract with changes in humidity. Will (should) that hold up well to a strong central Texas sun and some rain? Is there a better option? We do see big shifts in humidity.

Thanks
(04-30-2022, 11:36 AM)PeteG45 Wrote: Hi folks, I am really new at this. I’ve tried to finish a lot of different little projects in the past but never really achieved a result that made me happy. I’m trying to get a little more serious and I’m going to start with a simple side table for the back porch using some plans from a YouTube guy. The table will be made out of 1x3 pine from Lowes. The top and shelf underneath will be made of slats that are 1/4” or 3/8” apart. I assume that I need to finish the slats before I attach them to the base, is that correct?

Since pine blotches easily should I just use tinted shellac to achieve a brownish gray or should I use a brown stain on the wood and use black tinted shellac to layer gray on top of it? Or should it be the other way around (color wise) or should I use stain for both colors, try to mix a stain of the color I want, or use tinted shellac layering two different colors or one shellac with both brown and gray? I’m not looking for a perfect answer but it seems like I have about eight different options and I’d rather choose from the best options and avoid the worst options.

Also, I’ve read here that the Sherwin Williams A100 tint base is a potentially viable clear top coat that will expand and contract with changes in humidity. Will (should) that hold up well to a strong central Texas sun and some rain? Is there a better option? We do see big shifts in humidity.

Thanks

I think I'd expect to refinish that every couple years if it's anywhere outside.  I was very disappointed how quickly my mahogany front door got to looking raggedy.  Both when it was new and after I'd refinished it.  Amazing how much weather will get on things that you think are under enough cover.