Stolen Witherby chisel set
I know it's a long shot but here goes. I have to use a power chair and the garage is my safe haven and away from the better half. I must have left the big door open overnite. I have about 50 chisels that I am restoring to sell. I go in the side door and the lights are on and big door open. I start looking around and the Witherby set is gone !! I had lots of power tools in cases and the rest of the chisels that are all set to be sold. I guess this is a heads up, I live in southern california-palm springs area. The community isn't gated and we have a rash of mail box thefts but little porch pirates. I am keeping watch on Craigslist in the hope they will show up but I am doubtful. This thief knew what he was after, why take just this one set when I had 40 more laid out for sharpening !! Strange.

Cheers
Angry
OK: not good news. I would also keep an eye on eBay (no telling how clever the thief was).Hope this all works out for you.
(05-03-2022, 03:54 PM)ricagamb Wrote: I know it's a long shot but here goes. I have to use a power chair and the garage is my safe haven and away from the better half. I must have left the big door open overnite. I have about 50 chisels that I am restoring to sell. I go in the side door and the lights are on and big door open. I start looking around and the Witherby set is gone !! I had lots of power tools in cases and the rest of the chisels that are all set to be sold. I guess this is a heads up, I live in southern california-palm springs area. The community isn't gated and we have a rash of mail box thefts but little porch pirates. I am keeping watch on Craigslist in the hope they will show up but I am doubtful. This thief knew what he was after, why take just this one set when I had 40 more laid out for sharpening !! Strange.

Cheers
Angry

Well that's not good.  How did the thief get it?  Did you leave the doors unlocked?  

John
(05-03-2022, 04:34 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well that's not good.  How did the thief get it?  Did you leave the doors unlocked?  

John

The urge to blame the victim is a strong one - it is reassuring to think that we won't be next if just don't make the same mistake or that they in some sense deserved it because they didn't do everything they possibly good have. Neither of those is true, though. None of us can be mistake free every time.

If you actually read the original post, you'll see that he already said he probably forgot to lock the big door.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Any chance you have pics you could post here so we can better keep an eye out?
(05-03-2022, 08:13 PM)edgy Wrote: Any chance you have pics you could post here so we can better keep an eye out?
No pics of course, the set was 6 or 7 from 1 1/2 to 1/4 all bevel edge and almost full length that I have been collecting over 3 years. Now the vintage chisel brands are getting too dang pricey. I try and find them without handles as I have fir new handles on about 30 out of 40 or so. I'll post here when I finish sharpening.
(05-03-2022, 04:41 PM)imapseudonym Wrote: The urge to blame the victim is a strong one - it is reassuring to think that we won't be next if just don't make the same mistake or that they in some sense deserved it because they didn't do everything they possibly good have. Neither of those is true, though. None of us can be mistake free every time.

If you actually read the original post, you'll see that he already said he probably forgot to lock the big door.

Oh, I see that now.  I'm not blaming the victim but to leave doors open or even unlocked is just inviting trouble.  You can complain when it happens, but you shouldn't be surprised.  

John