Acme Handsaw Filer Model HSF
Oh geez, the OP is even local, I do have the cash...I want to see Pedder get it though.

I could be up there with a engine hoist in my Tacoma after my swim tomorrow...LOL

Could you imagine filing saws looking out over the lake...problem is I need a shop to finish getting the log shell up there. The area I will do my handsaw work is in this walkout basement...I've been wanting to do everything there for 22 years...I wanna play my guitar on the porch overlooking the lake, I want build hand saws overlooking the lake, I wanna wake up overlooking the lake...you get the point...

EDIT: I sent him a PM, I might be interested, but I really am not interested in the filer portion, I am only interested in the vise part. The pedestal is cool though, but a bench could work the same with the vise. I am within 1 hour of driving, it's in my backyard. LOL However, I told him I really would like to see Pedder get it, so I'd like him to really think about shipping this over to Germany. I realize it's costly...but it's cool and you'd have your vise. I'm going to bed...LOL

Attached Files Image(s)

Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-08-2022, 04:01 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Oh geez, the OP is even local, I do have the cash...I want to see Pedder get it though.

I could be up there with a engine hoist in my Tacoma after my swim tomorrow...LOL

Could you imagine filing saws looking out over the lake...problem is I need a shop to finish getting the log shell up there. The area I will do my handsaw work is in this walkout basement...I've been wanting to do everything there for 22 years...I wanna play my guitar on the porch overlooking the lake, I want build hand saws overlooking the lake, I wanna wake up overlooking the lake...you get the point...

EDIT: I sent him a PM, I might be interested, but I really am not interested in the filer portion, I am only interested in the vise part. The pedestal is cool though, but a bench could work the same with the vise. I am within 1 hour of driving, it's in my backyard. LOL However, I told him I really would like to see Pedder get it, so I'd like him to really think about shipping this over to Germany. I realize it's costly...but it's cool and you'd have your vise. I'm going to bed...LOL
Ten/15yrs ago I would have been on that baby like white on rice!!!!!!! 800 bucks IS A STEAL!!!!!!! How many Big Macs is that anyway!!!!! AND when you eat them, they are gone forever!!! But you can fondle and have this old brute as long as you live!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-08-2022, 12:04 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .....................
Ten/15yrs ago I would have been on that baby like white on rice!!!!!!! 800 bucks IS A STEAL!!!!!!! How many Big Macs is that anyway!!!!! AND when you eat them, they are gone forever!!! But you can fondle and have this old brute as long as you live!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Jack,

Agree 100%, and I haven't gotten a call from the OP yet, but I mentioned to him that it's Mother's Day so I don't expect to even get a response today. I did tell him I really would give the nod to Pedder, he was the one that was looking and even mentioned it.

I don't want to say this is an opportunity that may not exist for him, cause I didn't even expect one to show up here in the S&S, but I think this is a pretty rare opportunity and Pedder will not even think twice about the shipping once he got it.

If Pedder doesn't want it, I'd give the nod to Ron, even though he has 2 of them already, this is a nice one that has everything intact and none of the cast iron is broken or repaired. This is a very nice piece that will last anyone's lifetime. Maybe Ron would consider selling the aluminum one to Pedder which would be less to ship most likely.

If neither Pedder or Ron want it, I have cash in pocket and would like to see how long the seller could hold it if I pay cash up front. I am ready to put my money where my mouth is, despite having no place to really store it...I'll find a place to put it until I get the shop in place and could pick it up in about 2 hours from getting notice he'll hold it until I can at least drive up there. I'm about 1 hour away by car, I live in Cupertino area, but officially San Jose, same place the Acme is made! How cool would that be?
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-08-2022, 05:19 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Jack,

Agree 100%, and I haven't gotten a call from the OP yet, but I mentioned to him that it's Mother's Day so I don't expect to even get a response today. I did tell him I really would give the nod to Pedder, he was the one that was looking and even mentioned it.

I don't want to say this is an opportunity that may not exist for him, cause I didn't even expect one to show up here in the S&S, but I think this is a pretty rare opportunity and Pedder will not even think twice about the shipping once he got it.

If Pedder doesn't want it, I'd give the nod to Ron, even though he has 2 of them already, this is a nice one that has everything intact and none of the cast iron is broken or repaired. This is a very nice piece that will last anyone's lifetime. Maybe Ron would consider selling the aluminum one to Pedder which would be less to ***** most likely.

If neither Pedder or Ron want it, I have cash in pocket and would like to see how long the seller could hold it if I pay cash up front. I am ready to put my money where my mouth is, despite having no place to really store it...I'll find a place to put it until I get the shop in place and could pick it up in about 2 hours from getting notice he'll hold it until I can at least drive up there. I'm about 1 hour away by car, I live in Cupertino area, but officially San Jose, same place the Acme is made! How cool would that be?
All I can say Allan, is...GO GET IT!!!!!! Bring it back home where it will be loved..
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-08-2022, 05:51 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............
All I can say Allan, is...GO GET IT!!!!!! Bring it back home where it will be loved..
Winkgrin
I know, I wouldn't even miss the cash tomorrow and after I got in my hand tool shop I'd be gloating every time I looked at it, just like I do my post drill or other old tools.

But I had to cash in my retirement and roll it into an IRA, and I have to pay taxes on any cash I take out...I could care less, I think I have enough to safely get the shop w/septic in and get my log shell dried in on the foundation...

As I am typing this I'm laughing at myself quietly knowing that $800 is nothing...it's not gonna make/break my retirement...you're right.
Winkgrin

I'm gonna get it if he'll sell it to me. FTW, you only live once and my days are numbered...
Alan
Doug, (I see your name above now)

I sent you a PM, I want this filer for certain, even though I hate to step on Pedder's toes, I will never get rid of it and have cash in my pocket as I type...can be there in 1 hour to pick it up...

So I wanted to offer this option to Pedder that might still be pretty cool. I just bought a Disston 3D vise that looked in XLNT condition but rusty. I haven't even opened the box yet, but if I do get the Acme I'll offer it to Pedder for the same price I paid for it...I have US $40 into it. I do not know how much it would cost to ship, but this can go DHL AFAIK, and I would make sure it's packed well enough so it doesn't get damaged.

That is only if I get the Acme, and Ron was before me also...we all know that having the cash and being at the right place at the right time is key to some of these unobtainables.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, I can also PayPal as a gift as a moments notice. I have a few things to do right now, so won't be able to check as the kids are bringing some sushi and fiddles to prep/cook for their Mommy! Have a great Mother's Day everyone!
Big Grin
Alan
(05-08-2022, 07:13 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I know, I wouldn't even miss the cash tomorrow and after I got in my hand tool shop I'd be gloating every time I looked at it, just like I do my post drill or other old tools.

But I had to cash in my retirement and roll it into an IRA, and I have to pay taxes on any cash I take out...I could care less, I think I have enough to safely get the shop w/septic in and get my log shell dried in on the foundation...

As I am typing this I'm laughing at myself quietly knowing that $800 is nothing...it's not gonna make/break my retirement...you're right.
Winkgrin

I'm gonna get it if he'll sell it to me. FTW, you only live once and my days are numbered...

I can testify to that, ol' Pard... !!!!
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-08-2022, 07:23 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: So I wanted to offer this option to Pedder that might still be pretty cool. I just bought a Disston 3D vise that looked in XLNT condition but rusty. I haven't even opened the box yet, but if I do get the Acme I'll offer it to Pedder for the same price I paid for it...I have US $40 into it. I do not know how much it would cost to *****, but this can go DHL AFAIK, and I would make sure it's packed well enough so it doesn't get damaged.

Guy, this filer would be about 2k in my shop and I still wouldn't have the place. I'm looking für the ACME saw vice only. And I hope for a number I would sell 2 Saw for it. If that isn't possible, than that's fine for me. I do have good wooden saw vices.

Some of you might remember the guy, who asked for infills on a regulare basis.

That's me just in a saw vice.

Cheers
Pedder
(05-09-2022, 08:48 AM)Pedder Wrote: Guy, this filer would be about 2k in my shop and I still wouldn't have the place. I'm looking für the ACME saw vice only. And I hope for a number I would sell 2 Saw for it. If that isn't possible, than that's fine for me. I do have good wooden saw vices. 

Some of you might remember the guy, who asked for infills on a regulare basis.

That's me just in a saw vice.

Cheers
Pedder
Well, I spoke with Doug this morning and I'm buying the Acme from him. A very nice guy that actually used this to file handsaws in the past.

Doug has been sharpening for 47 years in the Bay Area! That in itself is an amazing accomplishment!

I am picking it up from him this weekend, and he is holding it for me.

I will leave that Disston 3D on the table if you want it Pedder!

If I do end up crafting handsaws in my retirement, I will be doing it on the Acme vise. Doug says the filer works much better than the Foley, but I just sharpen with a file by hand, it works for me. The filers have always been too cumbersome to setup, and they often remove more material than desired, in my experience. Maybe the Acme will change my mind...

EDIT - I need to stay away from this place, I'm not even working and just bought a 400 lb. filer w/vise, and last week I bought a 3rd Disston 3D vise.... I might be able to just remove the vise from the stand and store the two pieces separately with the vise inside and the stand tarped outside in my back yard. I live by the motto, "He who dies with the most iron wins!".
Winkgrin

Also, I apologize to Pedder, he is the one that started asking about them, but when it comes to 'ol iron, there are no friends...
Rolleyes And to Ron, well, it's the early bird that gets the worm...as they say...Doug called me and said you hadn't called him yet. I did my best to let you guys buy it...
Rolleyes
Alan
Alan,

thanks for the offer about the Disston 3 D, but that isn't what I want.

Cheers
Pedder