Toolmaker
One of the finest craftsman I know of...Paul Hamler...finest "tool genius" I have ever met...His work is so incredible it is mind boggling, especially to those who understand how difficult precision work on this scale can be.!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbB7_IKgCJM
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-05-2022, 11:10 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: One of the finest craftsman I know of...Paul Hamler...finest "tool genius" I have ever met...His work is so incredible it is mind boggling, especially to those who understand how difficult precision work on this scale can be.!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbB7_IKgCJM

Waaaayyyy out of my league. Interesting.
BontzSawWorks.net
(05-05-2022, 12:07 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Waaaayyyy out of my league. Interesting.
I know exactly what you mean...even the screw sizes are to scale...usually a compromise for most craftsmen and one of the first things that catch other craftsmen's eye.
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Paul's latest project is a miniature Monarch 10EE metal lathe. The brass parts were cast in his shop, while the other pieces were made on a mill and lathe.

Take a look at the drain pan in the first photo and then look at the same part in the second photo to get a sense of the size of some of the parts. It is quite impressive.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(05-05-2022, 11:10 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: One of the finest craftsman I know of...Paul Hamler...finest "tool genius" I have ever met...His work is so incredible it is mind boggling, especially to those who understand how difficult precision work on this scale can be.!!!!
Indeed his stuff is good.

Not sure if you're familiar with the work Bill Carter did with miniature planes, but Frank Ford was lucky to get a set of 3 violin planes he uses for luthier work a number of years ago.

I like that miniature brace that Hamler showed in that video.

There's a guy that hangs out on Practical Machinist and he creates miniature metalworking tools and machines. His usename is rivett608, and as you might imagine he uses a Rivett 608 for his work.

I love tools of all sizes and shapes, not just old, but I like (what I consider) quality tools.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-05-2022, 05:11 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Indeed his stuff is good.

Not sure if you're familiar with the work Bill Carter did with miniature planes, but Frank Ford was lucky to get a set of 3 violin planes he uses for luthier work a number of years ago.

There's a guy that hangs out on Practical Machinist and he creates miniature metalworking tools and machines. His usename is rivett608, and as you might imagine he uses a Rivett 608 for his work.

I love tools of all sizes and shapes, not just old, but I like (what I consider) quality tools.
I watched his shop tour, what an amazing machinist. Never find out what he did before retiring, I think this scraper plane attachment is a great idea. Too bad some body takes it further to the marketplace like Lee Valley, Garret Wade, Bridge City. hamlertools.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-project.html I guess this guy is making them now. https://loonlaketoolworks.com/products/h...8891974740
(05-05-2022, 04:49 PM)enjuneer Wrote: Paul's latest project is a miniature Monarch 10EE metal lathe. The brass parts were cast in his shop, while the other pieces were made on a mill and lathe.

Take a look at the drain pan in the first photo and then look at the same part in the second photo to get a sense of the size of some of the parts. It is quite impressive.
That is just so hard to believe!!!!! You could get a drill bit that size in your eye and not even notice it!!!!! That's why I say his work is incredible!!!!!!..I knew he had planned to make a Monarch and I sure want to see it when it is finished. I did have a chance to handle his workable scale model of his 1911 Colt, and he told me one of the hardest things in that project was making real bullets for it.. And making the magazine wasn't a walk in the park either!!!
Big Grin
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-05-2022, 05:11 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Indeed his stuff is good.

I have communicated with Bill Carter and his bride a few years ago and he is a real British gentleman...very free with information that helped me when I made miniature planes in his style. Most of what Bill does is with hand tools..I have watched all his videos and have never noticed a machine except a bench grinder. I would love to have one of his planes..another toolmaker that I admire and respect!! Thanks for the tip on Rivet608..I will be checking him out.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-05-2022, 08:13 PM)ricagamb Wrote: I watched his shop tour, what an amazing machinist. Never find out what he did before retiring, I think this scraper plane attachment is a great idea. Too bad some body takes it further to the marketplace like Lee Valley, Garret Wade, Bridge City. hamlertools.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-project.html I guess this guy is making them now. https://loonlaketoolworks.com/products/h...8891974740
The Hamler scraper accessory may still be available...Bob Page AKA Injuneer made a few of them in collaboration with Paul a couple of years ago Pre-Covid IIRC. He just posted in this thread...He is a very accomplished engineer/machinist in his own right.
Winkgrin

EDIT...I see you already know about Bob..I missed opening the link you posted.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-05-2022, 08:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: The Hamler scraper accessory may still be available...Bob Page AKA 'enjuneer' made a few of them in collaboration with Paul a couple of years ago Pre-Covid IIRC.

The Hamler Scraper Insert will be available again shortly. I made castings for about 100 more pieces and will be starting to machine/assemble them shortly. Most will be for Stanley Bailey planes, though I'll be making a few for Bedrocks.

I have a waiting list of about 50 people at the moment. If you wish to be notified when they are ready, email me to have your name added to the list.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com