Replace 16 y/o old Heat Pump...
(05-10-2022, 09:39 AM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: i just installed a 4 ton heat pump in my new shop. My good friend, who is a HVAC contractor did the job at his cost ( and I helped).  4 ton heat pump, 10Kw heat strips, new programable thermostat, air handler , vents and etc. Cost was 4600 for material only.The units are American Standard and have a 10yr material warranty. The unit is a 14 SEER and is cooling a 1600 sq ft shop. Lengthy discussions with my friend, going to a higher SEER rating will cost more and adds significant complexity to the system. We were able to install the system, including duct work in 1.5 days with just the two of us.

Great deal!!

That's what friends are for.  
Cool
Until a manual j calculation is done for your home - none of your “quotes” are worth a darn. 

I also question this being your “forever house” when all the bedrooms are upstairs. 

That aside , your next HVAC unit isn’t likely to be your last one at that house either.
Zoned systems on a unit with no staging or modulation is foolish. It doesn’t work well or efficiently. I would be loath to provide a recommendation without seeing your set up to assess other options and no load calculation. There is no doubt that equipment costs are going to see a significant increase in the next while and availability is iffy on high end units. Replacement to your own schedule is better than doing without for weeks or settling for best we got.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(05-10-2022, 09:33 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Until a manual j calculation is done for your home - none of your “quotes” are worth a darn. 

I also question this being your “forever house” when all the bedrooms are upstairs. 

That aside , your next HVAC unit isn’t likely to be your last one at that house either.

The contractor that provided quote 3 (Goodman 3.5 ton) stated that he performed a load calculation to ensure the system is properly sized.  He walked through the entire house and noted windows, registers, dimensions, etc.  I did not get a copy of the load calc but believe that he performed one.  His company is the largest in our area and gets good reviews.
(05-10-2022, 07:29 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Read Neil's post again and follow his advice...that's certainly what I would do.

I would too... after I got Blackhat's input.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-10-2022, 09:21 AM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: i just installed a 4 ton heat pump in my new shop. My good friend, who is a HVAC contractor did the job at his cost ( and I helped).  4 ton heat pump, 10Kw heat strips, new programable thermostat, air handler , vents and etc. Cost was 4600 for material only.The units are American Standard and have a 10yr material warranty. The unit is a 14 SEER and is cooling a 1600 sq ft shop. Lengthy discussions with my friend, going to a higher SEER rating will cost more and adds significant complexity to the system. We were able to install the system, including duct work in 1.5 days with just the two of us.

All units sold in the US have a 10 year warranty. It's a Gov't mandate.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-12-2022, 08:35 AM)Chuck in NC Wrote: The contractor that provided quote 3 (Goodman 3.5 ton) stated that he performed a load calculation to ensure the system is properly sized.  He walked through the entire house and noted windows, registers, dimensions, etc.  I did not get a copy of the load calc but believe that he performed one.  His company is the largest in our area and gets good reviews.

Then quote 2 becomes questionable to me...why did they suggest 4 ton?  It is my understanding that more is not better if you oversize the unit???
(05-12-2022, 04:21 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: All units sold in the US have a 10 year warranty. It's a Gov't mandate.

Could you elaborate on that? I assume it’s parts only and they can still get you on labor.
VH07V  
I had to replace my unit last summer. About the same age as yours. The thing that stood out to me was how much our electric bill dropped.  The new units are much more efficient and while it will take a few years to pay for itself it saved us roughly a $100 a month in electricity in the high demand months. I was very surprised at the difference.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(05-13-2022, 12:21 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Could you elaborate on that? I assume it’s parts only and they can still get you on labor.

No, not really because they are all a little different with different limitations. But they are Parts warranties.The Fed stepped in somewhere around 13 years ago and made the manufacturers up their warranty because of poor quality being systemic.

... Kizar Sosay