Sharpening system help
Trying to decide about a new sharpening system, and the choices out there are quite confusing, any thoughts would be more than welcome. What I am looking at are:

- WEN BG4270T (Tormak Clone)
- Work Shop 3000
- Rikon 80-805 Slow Speed bench grinder

Up until now I have been using an old B&D grinder, but it finally died after 40 years, combined with the glass plate sharpening method.

SWMBO bought me a mid-sized lathe for Christmas and I've been messing around with it on pine, so not hard on the lathe tools. Aside from replacing the old grinder I need something to sharpen the lathe tools. I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist, so I'm not looking to take out a mortgage for a Tormek (or better) system. Was down at my local Woodcraft and they tried to get me to buy a $320 Rikon grinder with a $150 attachment, way out of my league.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I have the Jet Wet Grinder (Tormek clone), a set of Arkansas stones, and the sandpaper/glass system.

I use the Jet for my lathe tools.  This tool does do well at removing material and reshaping edges when needed.  I also use it to grind hollow bevels on plane irons and chisels.  I may be able to fit a CBN wheel on it.

I use the Arkansas stones for secondary bevels on chisels and plane irons.

I haven't used the sandpaper/glass setup in a long time.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(05-09-2022, 05:34 PM)R Clark Wrote: I have the Jet Wet Grinder (Tormek clone), a set of Arkansas stones, and the sandpaper/glass system.

I use the Jet for my lathe tools.  This tool does do well at removing material and reshaping edges when needed.  I also use it to grind hollow bevels on plane irons and chisels.  I may be able to fit a CBN wheel on it.

I use the Arkansas stones for secondary bevels on chisels and plane irons.

I haven't used the sandpaper/glass setup in a long time.
You talking the Jet that looks like a Tormek clone?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(05-09-2022, 06:09 PM)Scouter Wrote: You talking the Jet that looks like a Tormek clone?

Yup.  I only mentioned brand since it's a Tormek clone, but is NOT the WEN.  I thought it had been discontinued, but I see that some online retailers are still offering it.  I bought the unit in 2006.

It hasn't been trouble free, just in case you happen across one.

- Had an issue under warranty in which a circuit board failed; local JET service center fixed it.

- The drive mechanism transfers power to the abrasive wheel via a rubber-surfaced drive wheel that spins the stropping wheel.  Torque is iffy.

- The nut that holds on the abrasive corroded very quickly.

On the plus side:

- Tormek jigs and attachments fit.

- The wheel is a full 10" when new, so hollow grinds are shallower.

- Adjustable speed of the abrasive wheel.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
If you ask 10 turners what to sharpen with, you'll likely get 15 answers and something resembling a street fight!! I found that for taking classes and/or "play dates" at other folks' shops-the most common machine in use was an 8" slow-speed grinder (1750 rpm +/-). The One-way Wolverine jig is in wide use, and if the shopkeeper is not using a Vari-Grind for bowl & detail gouges--it's easy to take my own.
In relative newbie form, in my mind developing my turning skills is helped greatly by being very consistent in my grinds--in ways i'd never have notices using a paring chisel on a joint. So, being able to transport my grind to another shop (or from my big lathe in the garage to my midi in the basement) is an incredible help to me.
So...
1. whatever system you choose, be consistent.
2. if you plan to do any class work, keep commonality in mind.
3. make your set-up easy to turn from the lathe and touch-up the edge quickly
4. find what works for you (and your mentor!!), because no method is 100% right or wrong!!
5. whatever system you choose, be consistent.

For me, those items above are a a slow speed grinder with 180 and 600 grit CBN wheels for gouges scrapers. I also use a Sorby Pro Edge for skews, parting tools, spindle roughing gouges (like a flat grind on those, and i bought the Sorby as an Amazon Warehouse deal--open box).
Someday i'll dig out my WorkSharp and the Tormek attachments for it and get it sold--not because it's bad, but i just don't use it at all.

Good luck!!
earl
(05-10-2022, 12:41 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: If you ask 10 turners what to sharpen with, you'll likely get 15 answers and something resembling a street fight!!  I found that for taking classes and/or "play dates" at other folks' shops-the most common machine in use was an 8" slow-speed grinder (1750 rpm +/-).  The One-way Wolverine jig is in wide use, and if the shopkeeper is not using a Vari-Grind for bowl & detail gouges--it's easy to take my own. 
In relative newbie form, in my mind developing my turning skills is helped greatly by being very consistent in my grinds--in ways i'd never have notices using a paring chisel on a joint.  So, being able to transport my grind to another shop (or from my big lathe in the garage to my midi in the basement) is an incredible help to me. 
So...
1. whatever system you choose, be consistent.
2. if you plan to do any class work, keep commonality in mind.
3. make your set-up easy to turn from the lathe and touch-up the edge quickly
4. find what works for you (and your mentor!!), because no method is 100% right or wrong!!
5. whatever system you choose, be consistent. 

For me, those items above are a a slow speed grinder with 180 and 600 grit CBN wheels for gouges scrapers.  I also use a Sorby Pro Edge for skews, parting tools, spindle roughing gouges (like a flat grind on those, and i bought the Sorby as an Amazon Warehouse deal--open box). 
Someday i'll dig out my WorkSharp and the Tormek attachments for it and get it sold--not because it's bad, but i just don't use it at all.

Good luck!!
earl

Thanks. So, your slow speed grinder isn't a water wheel, but a regular grinder?
Mike

I sold my Tormak it was to slow for me.  Kept the attachments and occasionally use them on the worksharp  but mostly use my edge sander free hand, a quick zip and back to it.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(05-10-2022, 12:41 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: If you ask 10 turners what to sharpen with, you'll likely get 15 answers and something resembling a street fight!! 
This statement made me laugh. It seems to be true for most sharpening questions.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Correct, not a water cooled….just a 1 hp Rikon 1750 (or 1725?) grinder. The CBN wheels do a lot of work with minimal heat, and don’t change size, the 1/2 hp grinder would be fine, just takes a few extra seconds to come up to speed.
Some seasoned folks say a 3450 grinder is okay for CBN wheels—beyond my knowledge!
Earl
The key is a good holding system for gouges.

I've seen plenty of turners use a standard bench grinder, you have to be aware of heat built up, that's all.