Johnson Paste Wax is discontinued
As for a replacement, I would want to know how you intend to use it. As a furniture wax? As a rust preventive coating on cast iron or steel? As a lubricant to make things slide smoother (e.g. handsaws or planers)? For waxing wood as a protective finish, I like Renaissance Wax. A very little goes a long way. Briwax and Mylands are also good brands. You may also google bowling alley wax.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I do like Johnson’s paste wax, used it for over 40 years.
Many different applications, last tin about empty, got 2 more on the shelf.

So when that runs out, on to something else, but for now, I have my supply.
Someone said make sure a new choice of wax does not have silicone. How would silicone be harmful?
(05-16-2022, 07:35 PM)Petertaylor Wrote: Someone said make sure a new choice of wax does not have silicone.  How would silicone be harmful?

If it gets on your wood , you’ll have a nightmare come finishing time.
Butchers bowling alley wax is just like Johnsons paste wax....

Ed
(05-16-2022, 07:35 PM)Petertaylor Wrote: Someone said make sure a new choice of wax does not have silicone.  How would silicone be harmful?

I don't allow silicone spray in my shop or truck. Even just a few minute stray particles floating around land on your wood and you'll have fish eyes in the finish that seem to never go away.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(05-16-2022, 07:11 AM)Terry W Wrote: Just found out that Johnson Paste Wax was discontinued on 12/31/21. If you can find it, you might want to pick up a spare.
I thought I'd pick up a can, as mine is over 10 years old and starting to get a bit funky. I searched around and it's already out of stock at my local big box stores, the local Ace Hardware and at Amazon too.

Bad news. It is what I use on the ways of my lathe.

For those looking for close-out stock, do note that the Original is what we want for our woodworking machines. The version for Floors has an OSHA-mandated additive to make it less slippery.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-16-2022, 12:49 PM)mdhills Wrote: I used paste wax on my cast iron to protect the iron and give a low-friction surface for the wood.
The Lundmark can advertises "anti-slip" -- is that a desirable property in this application?

Matt

Yeah, they do say that.  I think it's in regards to its use on floors, which I've never done with it.  I can tell you that it's plenty slippery on my planer and jointer tables, TS and BS, router table, etc.  And it's brilliant for use rubbing out a finish with steel wool.  Never have I had wax wipe off so easily.  

John
(05-16-2022, 12:06 PM)jteneyck Wrote: True, but Minwax is like Johnson's and Lundmark is in a different league.  You have to try it to understand.  At $27 to your door Lundmark is well worth the difference.  Whether just waxing your machine tops or rubbing out a finish, Lundmark is nothing like Johnson's, et al.  

John

How about at $47.06 for 1 lb. from Walmart? We've used HF Staples crystal clear paste wax from Woodcraft ($14.99). SWMBO liked it a little better than Johnson's on cabinetry.

Edit: Shame on Wally World. Amazon has it for $26.81
I grabbed the last can of Johnson's at my local hardware...$8.49. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not dismissing the Lundwax suggestion, but Johnson's has worked well for me for many years as a hobbyist so I'll stick with it as long as i have some.

BTW, I searched Lundmark at Walmart and found their page at $13.30, but out of stock. Is it possible it was a third party seller that had for $47?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.