Jet 10-20 plus drum sander repair?
I just picked up a jet 10-20 plus drum sander

It came with conveyor belt that is missing any adhesive or joint between the ends at all.

Couple questions, if I order a new one at just over $100
jet part number 60-0310-P will it come with the joint between the ends glued, or are they designed to be mounted then glued?

If designed to be mounted and glued, what backer and adhesive will stand up on this very tough environment?

Also any good sources for varied grits of paper for these?

Thank you
Duke
i have the 16-32 jet. On that the replacement the belt came all asembled.and ready to put on. Pretty simple job. I have had it for probably 15 years now.It has beeen frustrating to me in that I could never get it to track completly straight I have to keep ann eye on it and every so often tighten or loosening the tensiom on one side r the other Maybe every 15- 20 minutes of use, but I still wish I could just set and forget it.
(05-17-2022, 12:46 PM)JDuke Wrote: I just picked up a jet 10-20 plus drum sander

It came with conveyor belt that is missing any adhesive or joint between the ends at all.

Couple questions, if I order a new one at just over $100
jet part number 60-0310-P will it come with the joint between the ends glued, or are they designed to be mounted then glued?

If designed to be mounted and glued, what backer and adhesive will stand up on this very tough environment?

Also any good sources for varied grits of paper for these?

Thank you
Duke
Random search turns up this:
https://www.fintechabrasives.com/10-1-4-...-jet-10-20   $13.33 That seems a little low, don't know if there's a gotcha

Outfit on Ebay is selling one for $42.00 free shipping  https://www.ebay.com/itm/383452194056

You can do quite a bit better than $100. I haven't had to do it - yet - but the challenge seems to be to get the belt to track in the center of the rollers.
I found the finntech and ordered them, I’ll let y’all know if they are ok
(05-19-2022, 01:49 PM)JDuke Wrote: I found the finntech and ordered them, I’ll let y’all know if they are ok

Looks like the fintech ones work pretty well
(05-22-2022, 10:19 PM)JDuke Wrote: Looks like the fintech ones work pretty well

I own a 10-20 as well.   Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
(05-17-2022, 12:46 PM)JDuke Wrote: I just picked up a jet 10-20 plus drum sander

Thank you
Duke

Hi Duke,

Years ago I read about a serious design flaw in this tool.  The aluminum carriage is tapped to accept the threaded steel rod of the adjustment crank.  As you raise or lower the drum, the aluminum threads become worn and eventually fail.

I have made it a point to clean and lubricate this trouble spot often.

I've owned my 10-20 for over ten years now with no problems - so far so good!

Mike
Thanks for the heads up on weak spot
When I had a 10-20 I had a 1/2" hole in the conveyor belt. I was ordering some belts from Red Label Abrasives last year and asked them for a 10-1/4" x 32-9/64" 100 Grit aluminum oxide belt. It was about $13 and worked great (sold the sander recently)
(05-19-2022, 11:51 AM)Turner52 Wrote: i have the 16-32 jet. On that the replacement the belt came all asembled.and ready to put on. Pretty simple job. I have had it for probably 15 years now.It has beeen frustrating to me in that I could never get it to track completly straight  I have to keep ann eye on it and every so often tighten or loosening the tensiom on one side r the other Maybe every 15- 20 minutes of use, but I still wish I could just set and forget it.

Here's how to set your belt to track perfectly.
I don't have a Jet, but I imagine this is similar to all drum sanders.
On mine, there's nuts that run on threaded rod which adjust the tension on each side.
I measure the amount of thread with digital calipers on each side. write it down.
Then after using it, it will drift left or right slightly. You will probably have to loosen the tension on both sides to slide the belt back in place.
After you slide the belt back to center, if the belt drifted right, either make the right side slightly more tension or the left side slightly looser (you wrote down the measurements
from the last time).  Keep a log of all your measurements, and which way it drifted on each one.. After 6-10 adjustments, you will get it to track perfectly (by zeroing in on the "perfect" tension for each side).
I did it on mine (performax), and it has been tracking perfectly for about 5 years now. It was a mess tracking when I first bought it.
Try it and good luck.