Installing Outlet Cover Plate over Raised Border Tiles
We had our kitchen remodeled and the backsplash tiles have a raised border around the perimeter of each tile.  They correctly made cutouts for each electrical outlet, but the borders prevent the outlet covers from sitting flush across the recessed part of the tiles.  Other than using a Dremel to cut back the raised border on each offending tile, is there a better way to eliminate the gap between the covers and the recessed part of the tiles?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Clear or matching color caulk?
(05-18-2022, 10:32 AM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Clear or matching color caulk?

THIS

Yes
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Caulk? C'mon fellas. This isn't a trailer.

I'd stick with your plan to customize each plate a Dremel. It's got to look better than caulk.

On a side note... every electric connection in the home needs to be readily accessible. Glued on wall plates probably aren't readily accessible in the eyes of the next guy who needs to get in one of those workboxes..
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(05-21-2022, 06:49 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Caulk? C'mon fellas. This isn't a trailer.

I'd stick with your plan to customize each plate a Dremel. It's got to look better than caulk.

On a side note... every electric connection in the home needs to be readily accessible. Glued on wall plates probably aren't readily accessible in the eyes of the next guy who needs to get in one of those workboxes..

AHILL had suggested cutting the tile. Snipe Hunter's suggestion of cutting the wall plate(s) is a better idea. If you happen to cut too much, replacing a plate is much easier than replacing a tile.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Photo would work great here. Better answers than caulk.
John T.
(05-21-2022, 10:44 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Photo would work great here. Better answers than caulk.

This...^^^

Depending upon how tall the ridge is on the tile you could try using a foam backer on the cover plate. They are sold to seal around the box when you put on the cover.
I believe there are neoprene gaskets you can buy for different wall plate types (switch vs. receptacle) ... would these be thick enough to take up the gap between the tile and the plate?
I'll try to take a pic and post it tonight. I don't like the caulk idea. The gaskets are a possibility. The tiles are white and the grout is black. Colors and styles were not my choice. Had to make the wife happy. The Dremel idea to customize the cover plate to fit over the tile borders is a possibility. Cover plates are cheap. I'd rather not mess with the tile.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-25-2022, 07:02 AM)AHill Wrote: The tiles are white and the grout is black.  Colors and styles were not my choice.  

What color are the cover plates?  If white, Maybe rip some thin wood strips and glue them to the back of the cover plate then hit everything with white paint, if you can't find a few feet of trim at the big box that would work.