Goodbye, Norm!
I've always enjoyed his show(s). I thought he did an excellent job of breaking down complex projects. I've made very few of his projects, but he inspired me to do something. For a few years, I wasn't near my tools, but could still watch and stay interested in woodworking. I did meet him and get his autograph at a store opening and he did seem to be very nice. I hope he has a long retirement.
Funny, a buddy bought a hunting camp in upstate NY for hunting and fishing use, I'm going up to spend a weekend and decided to make him a couple of A-Chairs for his deck; used Norm's plan that I first built from Norm, still have the full size patterns, must have made about 20 of them over the years. I did make one change, and use 5/4 pine for the side pieces and legs, makes a much sturdier chair.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-19-2022, 09:49 PM)Tapper Wrote: First admired Norm on TOH many, many years ago when Bob Vila was doing the show. When he began The New Yankee Workshop I was glued to the TV and use to "tape" the episodes (remember those days?) I'm certain I've seen every one twice at least.

Norm use to make appearances at Home Depot locations. My wife and I saw him at the HD at Perimeter in Atlanta in the mid 1990s. Very gracious and friendly. He had a very smooth delivery and teaching style on the NYW and was always an inspiration. I'll blame him for all these WW tools I've collected.

Best of luck in your retirement Norm - enjoy!

Doug
You're far from alone there. He helped to sell a ton (actually many tons) of Delta & Porter Cable tools/machines. The guys at Woodworker's Warehouse (remember them?) in the Boston area laughed. They could always tell what tool or machine Norm introduced on NYW Saturday. There was always a run on it Monday
Laugh.
(05-22-2022, 06:00 PM)Admiral Wrote: Ha ha, well, let me tell you, when you get to 70, you lose all pretense of being robust, as muscle mass disappears (testosterone has long ago checked out) and you literally start to shrink.  My bride says I look "frail" at 69, compared to what I used to look like!!  As long as everything else is ok, all is good.

Well, I just checked and Norm is 72. It also said Tom Silva is 75. He looks dam good for 75!

Norm made me a woodworker. I would love to buy him an adult beverage. Best of luck in retirerment. I'm in my 3rd year.
For Christmas last year my wife got me the TOH insider.  Its amazing.  I watch it every day, an episode or two.  Anyways, I grew up watching Norm and TOH.  They were the ones to get me into woodworking and kept me interested in woodworking for 20 years now.  With the TOH insider, you can get all the plans from NYW for free!  As well as a ton of other stuff.  Its worth checking out IMO.  Also, the early days with Norm and Bob Vila are hilarious.  Its well known those two didn't get along.
(06-24-2022, 07:13 AM)bmich Wrote: For Christmas last year my wife got me the TOH insider.  Its amazing.  I watch it every day, an episode or two.  Anyways, I grew up watching Norm and TOH.  They were the ones to get me into woodworking and kept me interested in woodworking for 20 years now.  With the TOH insider, you can get all the plans from NYW for free!  As well as a ton of other stuff.  Its worth checking out IMO.  Also, the early days with Norm and Bob Vila are hilarious.  Its well known those two didn't get along.

What does TOH insider cost?
https://access.thisoldhouse.com/p177?utm...tent=Exact

Short answer, $8 month if you buy a 12 month subscription or $10 monthly. Seems like a deal to me
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have all of his videos - I recorded them.  I still watch them from time to time.  While he wasn't perfect he did some great stuff.   He's 72 I believe or close.  That's a good time to hang up the tool belt.  I am sure he'll still make thing but not on camera.  Got to met him at a wood show right after he did the sail boat, no pics - before cell phones.  I know he influenced me to work to a 1920 house that I totally rehabbed.  He also got me to buy better tools.  I wish they would just rerun his shows now.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(06-01-2022, 09:05 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Well, I just checked and Norm is 72. It also said Tom Silva is 75. He looks dam good for 75!

Norm made me a woodworker. I would love to buy him an adult beverage. Best of luck in retirerment. I'm in my 3rd year.

The old gang is getting old.  Rich Trethewey is 66.  With Norm being 72 and Silva being 75, I think they all deserve retirement.  Roger Cook retired a few years ago.  I think Roger is around 67.  Mark McCullough, the mason, is 63 years old.  You can see that in the past few years they've been introducing new folks into the mix.  I like the Navy vet contractor Nathan Gilbert who does segments on ATOH.  Trethewey's son is pretty decent - but he's not a plumber.  Don't care for Jenn Nawada that much, but she's knowledgeable.  There was a general contractor a couple of seasons ago I thought was pretty good, but I don't think he was from the Boston area.  If I were This Old House, I'd start the interview process early so there can be some continuity.  Too much change, and they'll lose viewers.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I haven't seen him on TV for a while, thought he had already retired.

ah, maybe someday I'll get to retire also.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark