problem with contractors
I tend to be non-confrontational. 

Home improvement company I went under contract with in January, promised work done by end of March and would be "in and out in 4-5 days". (this "promise" was only verbal, unfortunately and was made by a project manager who suddenly left the company.)

The job is to demo a bathroom adjacent to the kitchen, containing two load bearing walls and install new LVL and steel post structure to open up the kitchen.  Just the demo and structure work.  This isn't just some guy, it's a medium sized local company been around for 10+ years or longer advertised all over the place. 

It's now almost the end of May. They finally started ~10 days ago. Coming and going as they please, very little communication with me about when to expect them. When they do actually say "we'll be here tomorrow" tends to be when they don't actually show up at all.   They have all been very friendly, so there's that. 

I told them not to worry about the kitchen hardwood floor as they demo'd since that's gotta be filled in and refinished anyway to join it with space they're opening up.  There's a side room that exits to the backyard they wanted to use for access out to the dumpster. I told them that room wasn't being refinished, asked them to protect the hardwood floors and be careful (that floor was just refinished last summer).  They said "we got your back, don't worry"...  They put down a layer of that thin painters plastic and went at it. 
Upset

Well, it's now got at least 6 small chips and gouges in it.  Not terrible, but annoying. 

Plumbers showed up to cap off plumbing below the floor as part of the contract.  They arrived and as they opened their van doors, I saw a cloud of smoke. They entered the house reeking of weed.  My house stunk of it even after they left.  I have no problem with weed, but showing up at a customer's house like that??  Friendly enough, took a few hours to get the job done and left, and I come to find they made a stupid mistake and had to come back and fix it. Stunk like skunks when they arrived back the next day as well.  Oh and by the way the plumbers left all kinds of scraps of PVC and PEX and wrappers and empty cement cans etc. all over the basement crawlspace where they were working rather than bagging it up and throwing it in the dumpster. 

Oh, and the dumpster which I paid for as part of the contract, one of their guys brought a pickup truck load of junk from some other job site afterhours and nearly filled it with somebody else's waste. 

It just seems like sloppy, careless, lack of communication..  

Is this just the way it is with contractors and builders?  I rarely hire people for stuff, but this job really required a crew. 

I suppose I just need to vent.
Why in the world are you putting up with this situation. I would be all over the General Contractor if these types of things were happening to me. I can understand some delays may happen now and again due to current materials shortages but this is basically a demo project. The situation with the plumbing subcontractor is inexcusable no matter how you look at it! Not only was their work sloppy to say the least, they were also driving to and from your location drug impaired. I sure hope you refuse to allow that sub to come anywhere near your home again. You're paying to have this work done, you're the boss so you get to call the shots.
(05-20-2022, 08:25 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Why in the world are you putting up with this situation.  I would be all over the General Contractor if these types of things were happening to me.  I can understand some delays may happen now and again due to current materials shortages but this is basically a demo project.  The situation with the plumbing subcontractor is inexcusable no matter how you look at it!  Not only was their work sloppy to say the least, they were also driving to and from your location drug impaired.  I sure hope you refuse to allow that sub to come anywhere near your home again.  You're paying to have this work done, you're the boss so you get to call the shots.

I agree. I'm going to outline all of these concerns with the two owners via email today.  I really have no choice at this point. I have LVL's here and two stud walls that need to be properly supported/removed so the new beams can go in. I can't do this myself (I need a crew, and frankly don't have the expertise) and to find somebody else could take months.
Before they offer to come and look at the "damages", give apologies, and suggest concessions and or promises; all of which a General Contracting firm in good standing would do, take a look at this.
 https://www.levelset.com/blog/what-is-wo...%20work%3F

This applies to the workers craftsmanship, attitude, appearance, and knowledge, as well as respect for customers and their property. Generally, workers being lazy is their boss's problem, when it's coupled with an "I don't give a shittt" attitude, it's a breach of contract.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Not sure about your state but in Md, a home improvement contractor needs to be licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC). The comission does follow up with complaints and there is actually a fund in place to help get customers out of financial issued with the contractors. They can also void a contract for non compliance. But, I'd talk with the owner 1st.

All contractors are dealing with delays but not the issues you're dealing with.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(05-21-2022, 07:20 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure about your state but in Md, a home improvement contractor needs to be licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC). The comission does follow up with complaints and there is actually a fund in place to help get customers out of financial issued with the contractors. They can also void a contract for non compliance. But, I'd talk with the owner 1st.

All contractors are dealing with delays but not the issues you're dealing with.

Some states don't require General Contractors to be licensed or registered. Some require both. You can find which do, or do not, here;
https://www.homeadvisor.com/r/state-by-s...uirements/  (BTW, I do not/will not support Home Advisor nor Angie's List, but that's a different thread.)

I've paid into the MA Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) fund for decades. It only covers residential contracts over $1000 to homeowners, and only if the Contractor pulled a permit for the work. They specifically state, many times, that Homeowners pulling their own permit are not eligible for the fund. (Most jurisdictions require HIC registration before issuing a permit.) They do have pull with the Professional licensing Board and Building Officials to help Homeowners that don't qualify for the fund.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Have been using a General contractor now for the past 3 years working on my house and loved the work they did and the quality of craftsmanship. Everything is warrantied. I am in NJ and the company name is Bellari Design (Use to be Somerville Aluminum). First year I had them install all new windows, patio door and front bow window. That was my test of the contractor. They did such a great job that next year I had them do a new roof, siding, stone front and front porch. Again timely manner and all great subs. So this year they did a new kitchen and bath. The problem this year was supply chain stuff so it took longer to get but when they started they were done in 6 weeks. They do not start until they have all material. The forman sets up a calander with dates of all contractors and when and what they will be doing. They were on time with each and every one. These people use trusted contractors and they work with them for years. The contractors know they must work according to schedule and they did. I highly reccommend them to anyone in NJ looking for a great contractor. Yes they are a higher $$ firm but use top quality materials. They will design the job and use cad drawing too. I found that to be great addition when doing Kit and bath,. A++++ for this outfit. Glad I went with them. Trying to be your own general contractor and chasing subs around makes the job stressfull and in the long run not worth the $$$ savings.
John T.
(05-21-2022, 10:29 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote:  (BTW, I do not/will not support Home Advisor nor Angie's List, but that's a different thread.) Agree 100%

I've paid into the MA Home Improvement Contractor (HIC) fund for decades. It only covers residential contracts over $1000 to homeowners, and only if the Contractor pulled a permit for the work. They specifically state, many times, that Homeowners pulling their own permit are not eligible for the fund. (Most jurisdictions require HIC registration before issuing a permit.) They do have pull with the Professional licensing Board and Building Officials to help Homeowners that don't qualify for the fund. Same basic rules here. If you pull your own permit, you are the GC.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I just canceled a planned project because the probability of the workers showing up high was almost certain along with them not showing up when promised.  
In my experience the probability of high or no shows is reduced when I hire spanish speakers but this project was electrical and a bit more than house wiring.  I am putting it off until I can obtain more materials and knowledge of what is required more than likely going to do it myself
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The owner did come by after I voiced my concerns via email. He agreed the plumbers showing up like that was unacceptable and he was "going to handle that internally"
As far as the sloppy demo work that damaged floors in an adjoining room which wasn't to be refinished, he agreed they should have been working more carefully. There was a $700 change order I had made involving framing in a pocket door in the wall they'll be framing once the structure is changed, I suggested it would be fair in light of the damage to include that change for free, and he agreed. He also promised to be more forthcoming about schedule and what exactly I should expect and when. I suppose he seemed sincere, but time will tell.