Getting a jump on Christmas
Years ago when I was doing woodworking I got into a clock making binge. All kinds of clocks. Wall clocks, mantle clocks, big clocks, small clocks, even a grandfather clock. From a kit. I had read somewhere if you wanted to make clocks, you should practice making simple boxes, so I made boxes first. Again, all different sizes and shapes. They are all over the house yet today. When the grand kids came along, they use to play with them, and call them their "treshee" boxes. Some of them had trouble with their R sounds, just like their mother. My wife thought I should make each grand kid a box of their own, so I did, but these boxes are special. Each has a mechanism inside that prevents the box from opening unlee a "key" is placed in a certain spot on the box.

There is a magnet embedded in each key. The lock mechanism in the box contains a 9 volt battery, a small solenoid, and a magnetic reed switch.
I have 14 total boxes, all different designs.
I don't know why some pics posted more than once, while others not at all. sorry.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Very nice, but I have to ask what happens when the 9V battery dies with the box closed.  Is there an "emergency" method of opening?
Two screws on the bottom of the box will remove the locking mechanism.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.