Minimax S45N questions
I recently purchased a used Minimax S45N bandsaw that is only about a year old. Overall I really like the saw. It has a nice, large table, and plenty of resaw height and power. And I love the built-in wheels. I have a couple of questions about some minor things that I don't like. First, the blade tensioning knob is small and hard to turn. Has anyone tried replacing it with something larger, or checked to see if a thrust bearing would fit under it? Do most people with this saw just leave the blade tensioned all the time? Second, the blade guides are fine, but nothing special, and I don't really like ball bearing side guides. Does anyone have experience with the ceramic guide blocks from Space Age Ceramics? Or are there any other good options for guides on this saw?
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with Chalk. Cut with a chainsaw.
(05-22-2022, 10:25 AM)gcrimmins Wrote: I recently purchased a used Minimax S45N bandsaw that is only about a year old. Overall I really like the saw. It has a nice, large table, and plenty of resaw height and power. And I love the built-in wheels. I have a couple of questions about some minor things that I don't like. First, the blade tensioning knob is small and hard to turn. Has anyone tried replacing it with something larger, or checked to see if a thrust bearing would fit under it? Do most people with this saw just leave the blade tensioned all the time? Second, the blade guides are fine, but nothing special, and I don't really like ball bearing side guides. Does anyone have experience with the ceramic guide blocks from Space Age Ceramics? Or are there any other good options for guides on this saw?

DO NOT leave the blade tensioned on the saw.

No experience with SAC blocks but Laguna and Carter have guide packages to fit the saw.

Kipp should have a handle and or knob to fit your needs/wants.  You'll just need to know the metric size of the mounting piece.
(05-22-2022, 10:25 AM)gcrimmins Wrote: I recently purchased a used Minimax S45N bandsaw that is only about a year old. Overall I really like the saw. It has a nice, large table, and plenty of resaw height and power. And I love the built-in wheels. I have a couple of questions about some minor things that I don't like. First, the blade tensioning knob is small and hard to turn. Has anyone tried replacing it with something larger, or checked to see if a thrust bearing would fit under it? Do most people with this saw just leave the blade tensioned all the time? Second, the blade guides are fine, but nothing special, and I don't really like ball bearing side guides. Does anyone have experience with the ceramic guide blocks from Space Age Ceramics? Or are there any other good options for guides on this saw?
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with Chalk. Cut with a chainsaw.