building with prefinished ply
While it seems counterintuitive, I can get prefinished maple for pretty much the same price as unfinished maple ply. This is the first time I've used prefinished ply and so far it's fine. A little extra care not to scratch it up, but since it's going to be for cabinet boxes, even a few scratches aren't a big deal. The issue that has me scratching my head is, how to finish the face frames. In my days at the cabinet shop, we'd tape off the interior of the cabinet whenever we painted the face frame and needed the interior to stay clear. But that was after we already sprayed clear on the interior of the box. With the box already finished, taping everything off seems like so much extra work. I was thinking of prefinishing the assembled face frames before attaching them. 

So my big question is: how are folks dealing with finishing cabinet face frames when the boxes are made of prefinished ply?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
In my experience the UV-cured finish on the Columbia prefinished plywood is very easy to clean. I use thin cutoffs as standoffs and they clean up perfectly with acetone. My preferred finishes are Watco and various hardwax oils, so those come off easily.

I actually just committed this project to using only prefinished ply going forward, and I think finishing the joining side first (it doesn't need to be perfect) is the easiest way to go.
Building my kitchen cabinets using prefinished maple ply and I'm going to tape off the insides to do the face frames (paint).  Love the time I saved buying prefinished.
I'm building a kitchen right now using columbia prefinished maple. It's fantastic.. Also found it odd that the price was basically the same as unfinished. I think it's because the quality of the veneers might be a bit lesser though.. Great for inside cabinets, but for an exterior show face that might be bouncing light coming at angles, it's not quite as smooth as you'd expect in an A grade maple, so I think that's why, slightly lesser quality, but you get the factory finish. 

Most of the boxes I'm building will be the full overlay frameless euro style, with the exception of the "appliance wall" which will be painted face frames.. Still mulling over how to approach painting it all.. Build it all in place, then mask and spray?  Paint everything first then attach the face frames?  I'm not quite at the point where I need to decide, but will soon have to.   I'd not considered ease of cleaning paint from the prefinished surface.
Ok, my question is, how are you attaching the face frames? If pocket screws, it may be easier tom paint the frames separately, then attach to the boxes. Where the exterior of the cabinet will not be seen, I'd drill pocket holes on the outside of the box. For finished ends, not sure.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-24-2022, 03:58 PM)museumguy Wrote: Ok, my question is, how are you attaching the face frames? If pocket screws, it may be easier tom paint the frames separately, then attach to the boxes. Where the exterior of the cabinet will not be seen, I'd drill pocket holes on the outside of the box. For finished ends, not sure.

for mine I anticipate I'll use biscuits and glue. Perhaps pocket screws on the end that will receive an end panel
Since you'll be clamping the face frames I don't think I would paint them first. My approach would be to assemble the cabinets, leaving the back off. Then tape paper onto the face frames from the backside, leaving the inside edges of the face frames exposed. Paint, then remove the paper and install the backs. This will work only if you don't care about the inside surface of the face frames being finished.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-25-2022, 08:25 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Since you'll be clamping the face frames I don't think I would paint them first. My approach would be to assemble the cabinets, leaving the back off. Then tape paper onto the face frames from the backside, leaving the inside edges of the face frames exposed. Paint, then remove the paper and install the backs. This will work only if you don't care about the inside surface of the face frames being finished.

In my case that may be tricky. I don't plan to have individual face frames per box. Rather, I want to have a face frame assembly that spans multiple boxes, which means they need to be installed first. Or at least positioned relative to each other.
(05-25-2022, 08:37 AM)mound Wrote: In my case that may be tricky. I don't plan to have individual face frames per box. Rather, I want to have a face frame assembly that spans multiple boxes, which means they need to be installed first. Or at least positioned relative to each other.
The advantage of prefinishing is 1) easier, 2) if spraying, its not inside the house

The disadvantages are mostly related to installation. Screwing pocket screws without clamps is a recipe for frustration. If you clamp them either you need face frame clamps or you have to leave the backs off. And if you're clamping, you risk damaging the finish.

So, my suggestion is build individual face frames, prefinish and install, then bring the boxes inside. As Fred noted, you can clamp them if the backs are off.
There are a lot of different ways to attach face frames and whichever is your preferred method probably affects the answer to this question. I typically just use glue and clamps. I know there are lots of mechanical fastener options, but if you assemble your boxes with dadoes and rabbets, just gluing is fine. In order to prefinish, you just need to be carefully clamping it on.

In this particular job the face frames are all pretty narrow and are flush with the inside of the cabinet so Fred's good idea won't really work. I technically could still tape things off but with the face frame being flush, that's a lot of careful taping on a flush seam. And even if my tape job is flawless, there's a good chance there will be a ridge once I remove the tape.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/