Building a wooden surfboard
Hey guys, I have a bit of a random question, but does anyone know a way to significantly lighten the weight of wood, without cutting chambers into it etc?
I am building a surfboard out of wood, and I am trying to get it as light as possible, but I don't want to chamber it. I was wondering if anyone knows another way to significantly lighten the weight of wood, someone suggested charcoaling it, which doesn't make much sense to me, because I thought that when you charcoal something it loses all of its structure, so therefore could not be used for a surfboard. Does anyone know if you could charcoal wood (I am using pawlownia) without it losing its form? Or maybe just heat it at high temperatures below its burning point so as to make it lighter?

Lots of questions sorry, but thanks for your help.
Have you considered making a torsion box?  I have never made a surfboard, but torsion boxes have tons of strength and are very light.  torsion box
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
How about a less dense wood? Or a glue up using less dense fillers, splines, etc.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Paulownia wood is very light, fine-grained, and warp-resistant. It is the fastest-growing hardwood. It is used for surf boards , chests, boxes, ets...

This is excellent for surfboards ....

Cheers