sparky question about ground and neutral at panel
(05-27-2022, 05:26 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The pool should have a bonding grid. Ground and neutral should be separated at the sub panel. Neutral not bonded to the sub panel but bonded at the main panel. Otherwise, you can have a hot ground between the 2 panels

I believe the pool is not bonded.  There is no continuity between any of the metal parts. (the pool itself is concrete and fiberglass walls, a "hybrid pool") Whoever installed this used a small 4 slot "panel" for the pump/heater/light. In this sub-panel, ground and neutral are all connected (clearly wrong) and the bonding lug on the existing heater is not running to an equipotential grid, rather, to service ground. I get continuity between the bonding lug on the heater and the ground pin on any outlet I pick around the house - even after having disconnected the supply and dedicated EGC from the heater.  And it's been this way for decades. 

So I guess the question for an inspector would be, if the pool was built without bonding, and the gas heater is replaced with a heat pump and all the electrical for this change was done correctly, will the lack of bonding cause an inspection to fail, given it's impossible to bond to a pool that was built without bonding.  

If a pool isn't bonded but contains no metal parts (i.e.. if I permanently disconnect wiring from the underwater lamp and replace the ladder with a non-metallic one) and all nearby outlets are GFCI protected, then is there even any safety issue?
I got the original pool permit from the town -1969! wow, it's in surprisingly good shape considering its age. 
First bonding citation in NEC was in 1962
(05-27-2022, 08:32 AM)mound Wrote: I got the original pool permit from the town -1969! wow, it's in surprisingly good shape considering its age. 
First bonding citation in NEC was in 1962

If you want to dig deeper what year code was adopted in your town in 1969 ?   Most areas it is several years behind.    Like I said before the only thing that matters is what your inspector wants to see.   The way the codes are enforced varies by location,  some times for a reason such as soil conditions, others because of way they interpreted the code.    Roly