Remove staples from wood
I've pulled out a lot of staples using side cutters or end cutters. Grab the staple low and use a small piece of wood as a fulcrum so as to keep the pull as straight as possible. Just take small bites and don't squeeze the cutters hard enough to cut the staple. I haven't tried the other tools mentioned here so they may be better.
If the staple is embedded, more than likely it won't pull out magically.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The technique of clamping the staple legs with a Vise-grip and driving them out did not work for me. The staple just bent over. I also did not much success trying to pry the staples out from the top side--they were too well anchored in the red oak.

I had the most success with cutting the legs off flush and then using a nail set to drive them out enough that I could grab it from the top side. I cut the head of the staple in two so I only had to pull out one leg at a time using a Vise-grip.

I had a few staples that I had bent over the legs. These I could not drive out with a nail punch. I used a drill press with a drill guide (to prevent the drill bit from wandering) to drill out the portion of the staple leg that was bent over and then was able to drive them out with a nail set.

Even though the process is tedious, I was able to remove the staples that I needed to. I want to thank everyone for the helpful hints they offered.
Bob, thanks for posting back with what worked, it may help the next one who has that challenge.
(05-25-2022, 04:22 PM)Beaver Bob Wrote: I need to repair a coffee table that was damaged. The legs were stapled on with an air gun. I want to use dowels to repair the table, but must remove the staples in order to do so. I've been able to pry the stapled pieces apart. The staples are long but spindly, so when I try to hammer the exposed staple out, the legs just bend over. I've tried trimming the staples to shorter length, hoping I could hammer the staple out enough that I could grab it from the other end and pull it out. That technique didn't work either, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how remove these staples from 3/4" thick red oak.

Use an end nipper or any pliers that can grip the staple. End nippers work best if you are careful to not cut thru the staple.
Grip the staple with pliers , bend the pliers back and the staple will come out. If the staple does not come completely out, re-purchase the pliers and bend back again. To prevent denting the leg, place a carboard or wood shim under the pliers.
mike