Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit
I've got a circuit controlled by a GFCI outlet as the first device in the circuit.  Recently the GFCI outlet has been tripping (during stormy weather).  The circuit has 3 outlets in the basement, 3 external outlets and 2 external switch controlled overheads.  The GFCI isn't tripping every time it rains - just sporadically.

Is there a logical way to trouble shoot this problem to identify what is causing the trip?

Thanks
Rick

A lot of things to consider.  What is plugged in to the outlets?
Are the switched outlets on?
Metal or plastic boxes?
Bad gfci?

Bummer that it is sporadic.
Sorry, hit post instead of. Preview.
A lot of things to check.  But the rain thingy makes me think to check connections and weatherproofness of the exterior stuff first.
(05-26-2022, 11:20 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Sorry, hit post instead of. Preview.
A lot of things to check.  But the rain thingy makes me think to check connections and weatherproofness of the exterior stuff first.

When it is dry try squirting a hose on one device at a time and hopefully one trips it if you don't see anything by looking at it or removing covers and look for signs of water.
Also if a box is filled with bugs and it gets wet it will trip .    Roly
Thanks folks for the ideas.  its storming right now and the circuit just tripped.  I'm going to use this problem to map out this circuit s well as solving the problem.  I'll keep you updated.
Rick

So today I decided to take Roly's advice and sprayed the exterior outlet boxes with the hose.  No trips.  Not sure what to do next - maybe open up the boxes and check all connections?
Rick

Could it be wind instead of rain tripping it?
(05-27-2022, 07:12 PM)JosephP Wrote: Could it be wind instead of rain tripping it?

That's possible so probably a check of the connections is in order
Rick

Try disconnecting part of the circuit, half way would be best and see if the first portion trips it.   That will narrow the search,  but being a intermittent fault makes it harder.  Remember to look in the basement portion also as water could be traveling down a conduit.    Look in the light fixtures also.  Roly
(05-26-2022, 10:15 AM)Rick_B Wrote: I've got a circuit controlled by a GFCI outlet as the first device in the circuit.  Recently the GFCI outlet has been tripping (during stormy weather).  The circuit has 3 outlets in the basement, 3 external outlets and 2 external switch controlled overheads.  The GFCI isn't tripping every time it rains - just sporadically.

Is there a logical way to trouble shoot this problem to identify what is causing the trip?

Thanks

GFCI's wear out there is a good chance that is your problem.  Is there a pump or something else that cycles when it rains?  
Heavy load wears them out
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.