Accidentally Cut Underground Wire
While digging a hole to plant a bush, the shovel hit the 120V wire that runs from the house to the barn lights. The wire is not encased in PVC; just a bare wire about four inches deep in the sod. The wire looks okay, just a nick on the surface, but it caused the breaker to open, so I know I need to repair it. How? I’ll clip the wire at the damage, but how do I make a waterproof repair? Thanks. —Peter
pick up one of these; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-E...lsrc=aw.ds
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Yep, that UF splice is the way to go, and made for that application. The wire should be at least 18" deep, deeper in some areas (code dependent).
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Those splice kits are not not only easy to use, but work really well. I keep a spare on hand since I have quite a few 120V wires run in the yard (previous owner).....and i also cut through the on going to the barn.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thank you.
Peter
(05-27-2022, 10:33 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Yep, that UF splice is the way to go, and made for that application. The wire should be at least 18" deep, deeper in some areas (code dependent).

Per NEC Table 300.5, assuming 20 amps or less without conduit the depths should be a minimum of:
-  6" if gfci protected before entering the soil and covered with a minimum of 2" concrete,
-  12" if gfci protected before entering the soil, or
-   24"
I'm a belt and suspenders guy for some things. When we were selling our old house, the septic tank needed to be replaced. The guy doing the replacement dug through the 2-2-2-4 aluminum feeder to the shop. I fixed it with a similar splice kit. That was 7 years ago and AFIK it still works. However, I got some liquid tape. Before I put the heatshrink tubing on, I painted all of the splices with liquid tape. I put on 1 layer of tubing, shrunk it down, then painted the seams around the ends with more liquid tape, then added another layer of tubing and painted that. It was probably overkill, but it worked.

Electric grease on the connection before shrink tubing will keep the corrosion away.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-28-2022, 07:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Electric grease on the connection before shrink tubing will keep the corrosion away.

I did that also.  Actually I used noalox since the wires were aluminum.