Upcoming auction
There is an auction coming up next month that features a number of Grizzly tools. I am not familiar with Grizzly, and know nothing about them. Are they quality tools, or at least somewhat? Here is a partial listing.

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Grizzly metal & wood working tools: G0705 milling machine w/ 8’ x 28´table; G8689 Mimi Milling machine; Metal band saw; 10” Table saw, 220v; 15” planer, 220v; 1½ hp. Shaper, 220v; 6”x 80” Edge sander, 220v; 6” Jointer; 14” Band saw; Oscillating spindle sander; 17” floor drill press; Dust collector, 220v; 12” disc sander on stand; 8” bench grinder; Rotary sander;; Brad nailer; Stapler; Shaper blades (10); Shop Fox mortising machine; Dewalt 12” compound miter, 3/8 right angle drill & plate jointer; Porter/cable orbital & profile sander, finish nailer; Craftsman belt sander, plunge router, crown stapler; Bosch circular saw; Dremel multi pro; Roto zip; Forsner bits; Hole saw; 12- Bessey bar[/font]

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Like most brands Grizzly has it's fans as well as it's distractors. I happen to be a fan. They still provide parts if needed for most models, and the CS is reasonable....though it can have some rough spots depending on who answers the phone. If whatever you're after looks good, don't hesitate to buy it IMHO.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm in fair agreement with Fred.

I don't own any Grizzly tools.  That's not by conscious choice; it's just the way things worked out.

When I was first setting up shop over 20 years ago, my sense was that Grizzly tools were cheap and it was a lower quality brand.  I do think that Grizzly worked with their suppliers to increase quality time, and that they've been a reasonable brand for quite some time now, maybe for well over a decade.

If you're interested in any of those tools, you probably owe it to yourself to go and have a look.  Perhaps you'll happen into a deal.  I think the market right now is so nutso and new stock so hard to come by that those tools will probably sell for a premium.

As with any auction, being forearmed with knowledge about new tool price points will help you evaluate any machine.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I am most interested in the 6" jointer, and 15" planer. Even though I really don't have room for them. Also, the guy seemed to be a BIG collector of clamps. There are so many I think they may go for a decent price, and a guy just can't have too many clamps.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
My first tablesaw was a Grizzly contractor saw. It was spot on accurate from the first time I used it. That was 1990. They have gotten better over time. We just purchased an 8" jointer at work. Very well made and a joy to use. Do some research on the tools that you want to buy and don't overbid.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-29-2022, 05:51 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: There is an auction coming up next month that features a number of Grizzly tools. I am not familiar with Grizzly, and know nothing about them. Are they quality tools, or at least somewhat? Here is a partial listing.

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Grizzly metal & wood working tools: G0705 milling machine w/ 8’ x 28´table; G8689 Mimi Milling machine; Metal band saw; 10” Table saw, 220v; 15” planer, 220v; 1½ hp. Shaper, 220v; 6”x 80” Edge sander, 220v; 6” Jointer; 14” Band saw; Oscillating spindle sander; 17” floor drill press; Dust collector, 220v; 12” disc sander on stand; 8” bench grinder; Rotary sander;; Brad nailer; Stapler; Shaper blades (10); Shop Fox mortising machine; Dewalt 12” compound miter, 3/8 right angle drill & plate jointer; Porter/cable orbital & profile sander, finish nailer; Craftsman belt sander, plunge router, crown stapler; Bosch circular saw; Dremel multi pro; Roto zip; Forsner bits; Hole saw; 12- Bessey bar[/font]

Thanks  Greg

Where is this auction?  Im interested in the Oscillating spindle sander and 17” floor drill press
I had a Grizzly shaper back in the early 90s and never had any trouble with it. Also have a 2hp dust collector from the same time and the blower is still used every day with no problems. From what I hear they have improved their quality, which I thought was pretty good from the early days. Every time I've contacted their customer service, they have been very helpful. Even when I was looking for a odd part for a JET planer. Jet had discontinued the part but Grizzly had something that worked.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
I've had a Grizzly 8 inch jointer now for 20+ years, works very well, no issues. Very pleased with it.
I think you really need to research the specific Grizzly machine that you are interested in buying.
I have not had good luck with my Griz purchases and I know other people in the same situation.
They do discontinue parts after some time, which unfortunately is probably true for every manfacturer now.
So also check on the availability of parts for the specific machine that you are thinking of bidding on.
If the auction has an inspection time where you can look over the machine, power it on, etc, I highly recommend doing that
for expensive tools. Yes, it's a pain to make the drive down to inspect, but some of these auctions are quite seedy.
I bought a $300 power tool at an auction , was stated as in working condition, etc.. I got it home, would not even power on.
This was from a professional auctioning service.
I am sure based on other people's testimonials that some Griz machines are fine. I am just saying, I have had bad experiences, would
not use them again.
(05-29-2022, 07:12 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I am most interested in the 6" jointer, and 15" planer.  Even though I really don't have room for them. Also, the guy seemed to be a BIG collector of clamps. There are so many I think they may go for a decent price, and a guy just can't have too many clamps.

It has been my experience that auctions are very hit and miss on tools.

Generally if lots of tools, then will have good turnout and higher prices meaning fewer “deals”

As for clamps, I’ve quit looking after seeing them go for more than retail on several occasions at auctions. 

But I also haven’t been to an auction in many years, maybe that’s better now that people can look up retail prices on phone prior to bidding.  I suspect you’re still going to have some bidders that run prices up just cause they can’t let that one tool get away…

I quit going to auctions because the time invested in waiting for an item to come up is better spent working to pay retail for a tool.

Just my opinion and it’s worth what you paid for it…