Preparation for Laying Sod
I am going to lay some sod (1600 sq feet of Kikuyu grass) and plan to added about 2" of sandy loam soil and then about 1" of a mix of top soil, redwood and fir shaving and kelloggs' nitro mulch to area that will be sodded to raise it a little higher. 
Questions:

(1)  Should I till the shady loam soil into the existing soil;

(2) Should the top mix be tilled or just left on top

(3) Should I roll any of this prior to laying the sod?

Thanks for any suggestions.
1& 2, yes. Do not roll. Water daily until roots take hold.
(06-04-2022, 03:48 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: 1& 2, yes. Do not roll. Water daily until roots take hold.

I agree. Watering schedule I would use if it was me- every day 1st week, every other day 2nd week, 2 or 3x 3rd week, once a week after that until it is established, which it should be in a month. Adjust as weather/ etc. dictate.
First thing you should do is take some soil samples and have them analyzed.  Compare the pH levels to the kikuyu requirements. 

If your soil is heavily compacted, tilling before adding the loam and topsoil is a good idea.
(05-29-2022, 11:02 AM)dwg Wrote: I am going to lay some sod (1600 sq feet of Kikuyu grass) and plan to added about 2" of sandy loam soil and then about 1" of a mix of top soil, redwood and fir shaving and kelloggs' nitro mulch to area that will be sodded to raise it a little higher. 
Questions:

(1)  Should I till the shady loam soil into the existing soil;

(2) Should the top mix be tilled or just left on top

(3) Should I roll any of this prior to laying the sod?

Thanks for any suggestions.

My 'preparation' this spring was to find somebody else to do it.

I did a smallish area myself last year.  Poorly.  Never again.  That area and the rest of the yard was done again in early April.  Landscape guy has the truck to haul the sod, the equipment to till/level, the roller, and the helper.  All I had to do was pour the water on.  Which I did according to his instructions, which was to keep it SOAKED for about 10 days, then a little bit less SOAKED the next 10 days, then soaked more than I thought it needed for a week or so after that.  It's beautiful.
(06-07-2022, 05:31 AM)KC Wrote: My 'preparation' this spring was to find somebody else to do it.

I did a smallish area myself last year.  Poorly.  Never again.  That area and the rest of the yard was done again in early April.  Landscape guy has the truck to haul the sod, the equipment to till/level, the roller, and the helper.  All I had to do was pour the water on.  Which I did according to his instructions, which was to keep it SOAKED for about 10 days, then a little bit less SOAKED the next 10 days, then soaked more than I thought it needed for a week or so after that.  It's beautiful.

This.

Dry sod is dead sod.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13