Substitute for Cypfress for Garden Bench
Shocked 
I want to build a garden bench that will stay outside for most (or all) of the year, Whren I was a kid (many, many years ago) we had a Cypress bench my grandpa built and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, the price and availability of cypress in my area (Delaware) has put it out of my reach. I have access to some flame birch and some Whiteoak. Would either of these be suitable for this project? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative?  I'd like to avoid refinishing every year, if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(05-29-2022, 02:26 PM)5thumbs Wrote: I want to build a garden bench that will stay outside for most (or all) of the year, Whren I was a kid (many, many years ago) we had a Cypress bench my grandpa built and it lasted a long time.

Unfortunately, the price and availability of cypress in my area (Delaware) has put it out of my reach. I have access to some flame birch and some Whiteoak. Would either of these be suitable for this project? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative?  I'd like to avoid refinishing every year, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

White oak will last a long time with or without finish.  Spanish cedar would be an even better choice if you can get it.  It's lighter and has a more uniform, finer grain structure, so it doesn't give a rough surface like white oak can after outdoor aging.  

John
Well, shipping would be involved, but $4.60 bd ft aint bad, less then Western Red Cedar; https://walllumber.com/products/fine-softwoods/ and less than white oak which is over $6 . . .  https://walllumber.com/products/premier-hardwoods/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You could go with Cumaru
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Add ipe and teak to the list. Neither will be cheap, but they both will last a long time outside.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-29-2022, 06:17 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, shipping would be involved, but $4.60 bd ft aint bad, less then Western Red Cedar; https://walllumber.com/products/fine-softwoods/ and less than white oak which is over $6 . . .  https://walllumber.com/products/premier-hardwoods/

Thanks - Ill check this out
Jim

How far are you willing to drive to pick up some lumber? No specific resource for you but curious.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I remember buying clear Cypress for $1.10/BF
Now, lots of the mills are closed or closing.

No
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(05-30-2022, 04:16 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I remember buying clear Cypress for $1.10/BF
Now, lots of the mills are closed or closing.

No

I also remember gas for 29.9 a gallon and hamburger for 10 cents a pound. I'm afraid those days are gone forever.  'Course my first job was for $0.50/hour and if I was lucky, I got my Dad's Dodge Dart on Saturday night.

I don't have a truck anymore, so hauling lumber isn't really an option.
Jim

(05-30-2022, 06:43 PM)5thumbs Wrote: I don't have a truck anymore, so hauling lumber isn't really an option.

Ok, makes sense now.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry