My new project
I like the contrasts between wood species, and in fact often include walnut as an accent myself.

In this case however, since these are bookcases, and will be used, if I was building them for myself I would forego the walnut grid in the glass as I'm sure it would obscure the book titles I was searching for and make them harder to find.  In addition, I have found that unless the grids easily pop out, the glass is a real pain to clean.

I love the rest.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(06-07-2022, 09:00 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: The barristers book case is almost ready for finish, but I would like some opinions on door treatment. Here are 3 pics showing the door . One has nothing over the glass. Just the oak rails and styles of the door. Another shows the glass framed in walnut. The 3rd shows the glass with a walnut grid work. What would be your choice? There are other walnut features in the project. I think I know my favorite, but would like to hear other opinions.
I wiped the walnut with paint thinner to give it some color. Those are the spots you see on the oak.

Thanks Greg

I have an original barristers bookcase, 3 stack. The bottom two are plain glass, the top one is leaded glass, it makes a nice look. You may want to consider the grid on just the top one.
I decided to take a different approach on the glass for the doors. This is my first time doing this, so it's not perfect, but it's not too bad either, I don't think. The solder joints and lead came still need to be cleaned up. I am waiting on approval from the head honcho before proceeding with the other 2 doors.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
The head honcho does not care for the leaded glass. She prefers the plain. Opinions please.

Thanks  Greg

Attached Files Image(s)

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Remember "happy wife, happy life."  But...I like the divided lite look.

Good luck!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Good bad or indifferent, the barristers bookcase is complete. Except for the knobs on the doors. The color and style has not been determined yet. The last coat of paste wax was applied, and buffed this morning. Mistakes were made, but you would have to know where to look to find them, and I aint talkin'. Overall I am pretty pleased with it, and plan to make another one out of walnut or maple. I made a few changes from the original plans. I added all the walnut. The original was entirely oak. I also made leaded glass windows for the doors. My wife likes them a little more now that they have been brushed, and the shinnyness taken out of the lead. They will stay in for now at least. I have never made leaded glass before, and with all the work it was for me, I wanted to enjoy them at least for a little while.

They look good, I guess when you open the door on the cabinet to grab a book the titles won't be obscured and the owner will know which of the three cases it should be in.  Nice job.  Shouldn't be as hard to clean around as the walnut dividers. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Well done, they look good.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me