Plate Jointer
Biscuits are supposed to fit snugly in the slots so they can do their job aligning parts.  Loose biscuits can be made thicker by storing at a higher RH, biscuits that won't fit into the slot by storing in a lower RH environment or putting them in the toaster oven at 200F for an hour or two. 

With sheet goods I always glue in the biscuits as they add substantially to the strength of the joints.  When using them to align boards for a panel glue up, however, I never do because they don't add anything to the strength of the glued joint.  In all cases, I'm looking for biscuits that fit snugly in the slots, that can be pushed in with your thumb and pulled out with your thumb and forefinger.  

John
Biscuits were invented after WWII to speed up the assembly of cabinets made from sheet goods. I don't know that they were really intended for use on solid wood. I've used them on solid wood and have put some glue in the pockets and not had a problem. I haven't gone nuts with the glue bottle though, just a drop or two. I've used Porter Cable branded biscuits and they fit snug, sometimes I need a pliers to remove them if I'm doing a dry fit. I've heard that Lamello - who invented the biscuit jointer - are good as well. I think biscuit joiners get a bad rap because at one time they were sold as the answer to every wood joining question. They're not, but they have their place IMO.