Lumber Storage Rack
Thanks to you all again for taking the time to post your ideas, comments and especially the pictures.

John, it looks like your post and my last one crossed paths; I hadn't seen your note when I last responded. I like the idea of the HF dollies. I have several and use them all the time for moving things around. I actually have two of them under a base similar to yours that I've used for miscellaneous lumber scraps. I also like the idea of the adjustable steel pipe for the shelving. Storing the lumber on edge also makes sense. I have quite a bit of lumber (not all hardwood) that is 8' or longer so I may have to build at least one that is longer than 5-6'. I do have some scrap 2x material left over from a project that I could use and an extra set of heavy duty rubber casters to get started.

As I said earlier, I hadn't planned on building something but I may have to re-think it. On a detail note John, what is the spacing on the holes and is that 3/4" pipe?

Thanks,

Doug
(06-03-2022, 10:39 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks to you all again for taking the time to post your ideas, comments and especially the pictures.

John, it looks like your post and my last one crossed paths; I hadn't seen your note when I last responded. I like the idea of the HF dollies. I have several and use them all the time for moving things around. I actually have two of them under a base similar to yours that I've used for miscellaneous lumber scraps. I also like the idea of the adjustable steel pipe for the shelving. Storing the lumber on edge also makes sense. I have quite a bit of lumber (not all hardwood) that is 8' or longer so I may have to build at least one that is longer than 5-6'. I do have some scrap 2x material left over from a project that I could use and an extra set of heavy duty rubber casters to get started.

As I said earlier, I hadn't planned on building something but I may have to re-think it. On a detail note John, what is the spacing on the holes and is that 3/4" pipe?

Thanks,

Doug

3/4" black iron pipe or 1" EMT both fit through a 1-1/8" hole.  I used whichever happened to be cheaper at HD when I needed some.  It's what I use to store lumber in my shed, too.  The span is less than 24" and you can put as much wood on it as you want.  

John  

John
The 3/8" eye bolts are 9" long. They go through the ceiling, up through 2X4's straddled across 2 rafters. The winch is mounted the same way. The eye bolts in the rack itself are 7" long, come down through the 2X6, and are double nutted with washers. I trust it completely.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
This is the one I built with certain modifications. I used bigger wheels and installed strongbacks on the bottom to prevent sagging. I also used pocket hole screws instead of battens for the shelves. Still going strong, just buried in my shop at the moment. I think mine is longer at 8'. I made one of the compartments that you see on the right 2' wide for 1/4 sheet ply cut offs. I store most lumber on heavy duty wall mounted brackets. 

[Image: lymx3lz.jpg]
Mine is also hung from the (10'-6") ceiling. The bottom "shelf" is about 6'-6" A.F.F.. My drill press and a radial arm saw are below it. I used 3/8" threaded rod thru the bottom and top chord of the open web joists secured with nuts and fender washers. I've seen massive loads hung on these rod from uni-strut, and I have a massive load on mine.

If you're considering using 1" EMT, I came across these last week. https://makerpipe.com/
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-04-2022, 09:40 PM)BillN Wrote: This is the one I built with certain modifications. I used bigger wheels and installed strongbacks on the bottom to prevent sagging. I also used pocket hole screws instead of battens for the shelves. Still going strong, just buried in my shop at the moment. I think mine is longer at 8'. I made one of the compartments that you see on the right 2' wide for 1/4 sheet ply cut offs. I store most lumber on heavy duty wall mounted brackets. 

[Image: lymx3lz.jpg]

Seems like this was a Woodsmith plan. Anyone know the issue #?

Thanks,

Doug
I don't know what issue it was in. Here's the page where you find the plans for purchase:

Roll around lumber cart
(06-04-2022, 09:50 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Mine is also hung from the (10'-6") ceiling. The bottom "shelf" is about 6'-6" A.F.F.. My drill press and a radial arm saw are below it. I used 3/8" threaded rod thru the bottom and top chord of the open web joists secured with nuts and fender washers. I've seen massive loads hung on these rod from uni-strut, and I have a massive load on mine.

If you're considering using 1" EMT, I came across these last week. https://makerpipe.com/

Those fittings for EMT are pretty cool.  Thanks for the link.

John
I wish I had room for the roll around cart.....yes, if I threw away my workbench. :-))

Simon