Lumber Storage Rack
Anyone have any experience with this one? Looking for something sturdy that can be easily moved if necessary and not anchored to a wall. Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Doug
Doug,  I made one that fits both requirements.  If you have the length to store the lumber horizontally but not the height, there are lots of plans for simple A frames with lumber on both sides.  I made mine more like an L  with the vertical on an angle heading back, so I only had lumber on one side, though with plenty of heavy pieces at the bottom, it didn't have any danger of tipping over.  IIRC,  I used doubled up 2 x 6s for the legs at the bottom and had them stick out a few feet.
I built mine for sheet goods and cut-offs.  Now it is too heavy roll.  If I had to build it again, I would probably do it the same.  I have not seen anything that fits my needs better.  If you go with the metal rack, I suggest you add shelving or rods inside "A".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I built a rack similar to this out of wood. It looks just about like this one https://www.woodcraft.com/products/image...19cc0007c3 
One side for ply and the other side and middle for boards. It works great but it does get heavy. The original rubber wheels I installed on it wouldn't roll so I ended up with steel wheels.
The problems I see with the one you pictured over the one I built are that with only supports at each end and not in the middle I am not sure if boards would stay straight or start to droop in the middle. Also boards shorter than the two end supports would need to be stacked on top longer boards. It doesn't look like you could adapt one side for ply storage either if that was something you wanted to do.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I built a couple of these when my shop was overwhelmed with lumber.

[Image: AM-JKLU9H9PLFkERTBz0mJQpboWc4tnFjNOoxpnQ...authuser=1]

The base sits on top of two HF rolling carts.  I think they were about 5 ft long, 4 ft tall, and 18 - 20" wide, and held a couple hundred BF of lumber.  I have always liked storing lumber on edge for easy access to any individual board, and the adjustable pipe system allows maximum utilization of storage as lumber width changes.  

[Image: AM-JKLXASYQg297uLbQ2Ie2jsjWOL2usO-2qLT6A...authuser=1]

I used them for a couple of years until I built a storage shed.  

More than 30 years ago I built this cart using some really large cast iron casters underneath. 

[Image: AM-JKLWTyuzrPRXEMrYFAgoei3tAs3YFSsDRLBdP...authuser=1]

It's 8 ft long, 4 ft tall, and about 2 ft deep.  It holds full size and partial sheets in the various sections, as well as moldings and smaller stuff near the front.  It's done its job well all these years. 

John
Thanks to all thus far for your comments and suggestions. I'm looking at primarily storing dimensional lumber on this rack; sheet goods and shorts will be stored separately. I would like to have it on casters but that might not be feasible.

I do like the wooden A-frame design that was linked but I had not planned on building it myself. Time is a factor and there are already quite a few projects in the queue.

Any other suggestions and options are welcome!

Doug
Doug,
This one isn't moveable but it is wicked functional and quick to build and install and tears down in a couple minutes. It's 4X4's 3' on center. The top of the 4x's are captured in a "box" constructed out of 2x's. The bottom sits on 3/8" studs that just drop into holes in the base 3/4" plywood (credit to John TenEyck from ten years ago for this). The "shelves" are 3/4" X 10' pipe bought at Lowes, they cut them down (no charge) into 40" lengths. I drilled through holes on the DP to accommodate the 3/4" pipe. To assemble the rack I just pushed the top of the 4x's up into the 2x "box" then dropped the pre drilled bottom down onto the stud sticking out of the plywood. I used wood wedges to plumb the verticals in the boxes. Hope this makes sense.

When I first used this approach my shop had a concrete floor so I drilled for the studs and just dropped them in the holes. They are captured so no need to epoxy in place. When I sold the house I just unloaded the rack, lifted out the posts, pulled the studs out of the floor and unscrewed the box assembly from the joists. I didn't bother filling the small holes in the floor. The new shop has a Dri-Core floor so I felt the 3/4" ply base was necessary to spread the load on the floating floor.

Here's a couple pics. Give me a shout with any questions.
Gary

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I'd buy the West horizontal rack you linked. Geez, $200... cheaper than you'd spend on materials and labor. I might add a middle post on each side with self holes for dowels or pipes for extra support.

Castors can be added if mobility is needed one day.

Simon
My shop is my 24 X 26 garage which also houses usual garage items, fridge, cabinets, yard equipment, etc. Plus my tools. 3 table saws, band saw, lathe, router table, sanding station, BOSS sander, planer, and miter saw. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of room for lumber storage, so I don't keep a lot on hand. This holds more than you might think. It is a 4 X 8 frame made of 2 X6's, with a 1/2" plywood bottom. It is hinged on one end by two large eye hooks. The other end is connected to an electric winch, winch lifts it up and down. I do0n't have all my lumber in there, but quite a lot. One of the hardest things fr me to do is throw out small pieces I think may be useful, but I just don't have the room to keep everything.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(06-03-2022, 06:28 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: . It is hinged on one end by two large eye hooks. The other end is connected to an electric winch, winch lifts it up and down. I do0n't have all my lumber in there, but quite a lot. One of the hardest things fr me to do is throw out small pieces I think may be useful, but I just don't have the room to keep everything.

Very creative use of the space. Is it safe? It may be but I must admit I'd feel paranoid with such a crushing load above my head every time I step in to the shop.

Simon