Laminate flooring touchup
I had Wilson Art laminate flooring installed over 20 yrs ago and it has held up pretty well, but the room gets a lot of foot traffic as it's an entry room, there are some small wear areas that need touching up and my plan is to try and match those with some furniture markers and then apply floor poly over. I'm open to any other ideas, it's a knotty pine design.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
(06-03-2022, 05:55 AM)splinter7612 Wrote: I had Wilson Art laminate flooring installed over 20 yrs ago and it has held up pretty well, but the room gets a lot of foot traffic as it's an entry room, there are some small wear areas that need touching up and my plan is to try and match those with some furniture markers and then apply floor poly over. I'm open to any other ideas, it's a knotty pine design.
 Just a guess but getting the poly to adhere to the laminate will be the problem.    
I would think  it would scrape off easily.    Do a test and see if it adheres before doing the floor.  Roly
Their web site doesn't say much. Can you provide details on how this flooring is made. My engineered flooring is made like plywood, layers of hardwood with a clear finish. I'm assuming it is not like plastic laminate counter tops.

If it is engineered wood, then I think you can do what you suggest. The most difficult part is blending your touch-up with the existing. I recently did what you propose and just used off the shelf water based poly. It was a small area and I didn't want to pay for a gallon can of floor poly. So far, it is holding up fine.

PS
I looked it up and find that "laminate flooring" is like MDF with a melamine wearing surface. If that is what you have, I agree with Roly. I think you will not be able to get the poly to adhere to the melamine surface. I think your best choice is to replace the worn/damaged "planks".
How small is the entry?

Worth replacing the floor?
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I'd do the furniture marker as needed and leave it at that. If/when it wears off, repeat. I think you're asking for a mess applying the poly.

20 years is pretty good for a floor....
(06-03-2022, 12:38 PM)joe1086 Wrote: I'd do the furniture marker as needed and leave it at that. If/when it wears off, repeat. I think you're asking for a mess applying the poly.

20 years is pretty good for a floor....

That is what I ended up doing, I bought some color markers and it came out pretty good and I was able to do these small areas in 10 min, and I'll hit them again if needed.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13