Laminating Plywood for Bench Top
(06-13-2022, 06:30 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I really don't know your specific needs for this perfectly flat top, so I probably should just keep quiet, but that's just not my style. If you have a "Bargain Store"
in your area, they sell new solid core door slabs for $20 each. You can buy two, 1 3/4" thick,  36" doors and put them together with joint connector bolts. Similar to what is used on a formica counter top. These doors are new, VERY heavy, and flat, but for what ever reason, did not pass final inspection. You can also sometimes find them at "Restore Stores"
I love using solid core doors for desktops; used 4 of them for desktops in my basement shop.  This needs to be at least 48" deep and I'd like it to be one big piece so doors won't work.
Yeah, so you guys were right and I was wrong.  The plywood just didn't end up flat enough.  Hey, I tried.  

Now it's time to build a torsion box.  On the upside, my son has taken an interest in both the CNC and woodworking in general so we're working together on this.  I'm so used to doing everything alone, but it's great to have both the company and the help.  Lugging 3/4" sheets of plywood is difficult for me to do solo these days.
Most cnc shops use mdf for their spoil boards so that’s what I used for mine. The frame of the cnc will help flatten it once it’s attached. One very important thing is to make sure the surface is parallel to your overhead gantry on both x and y axis. On my cnc I had to shim up one side by a couple thousandths.
VH07V  
(06-16-2022, 02:13 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Most cnc shops use mdf for their spoil boards so that’s what I used for mine. The frame of the cnc will help flatten it once it’s attached. One very important thing is to make sure the surface is parallel to your overhead gantry on both x and y axis. On my cnc I had to ***** up one side by a couple thousandths.
Yeah, I plan on using mdf for my spoil board as well.  Hoping to get it going this weekend.
What you want sounds a lot like what veteran radial arm saw users want from their tables.  Google Mr. Sawdust table for several videos.  The key to the glue up is to have a dead flat surface to work on.  I used a 14" Delta table saw, then tapered cauls across the width for even pressure.