Leather Bench Shelf Mod
I knocked together a shelf to organize the tools on my leather bench... tired of looking for tools I need.  It also protects the edges of the cutting tools. 
Smile  This was NOT going to be furniture, but it's against my nature to just cobble together crap.  (Pun, Leather Bench/Cobble.) 
Laugh  Tina laughed at me because I routed the edges and hid the screws.  I didn't finish the top like I meant to, and there were small tips sticking over the top shelf.  then I added a backing to the dye shelf so it wouldn't fall thru and it was off a tad.  (I was tired and trying to finish, never a good thing.)

Time to fix those minor errors, and I wanted to ADD a top rail to make the top useable and free up space elsewhere.

Here is the Shelf as it stands now:

It is doing the job.  All the tools are organized and at hand.  The dyes and such are right there.  My strop hangs on the right side, off the working bench.  Glasses hanging off the left side.  

But... if you look at this picture you can see the ragged edges on the top.  This will need some attention before we start on the project itself.  I'll cut the top edges close with the jigsaw then smooth them neat with the plane.  I love my planes.  No noise, swish, swish, swish.  Neat Mess, if that makes sense.  Doesn't throw stuff everywhere.

This drawer is two levels, the bigger planes are in the bottom.... 

After about an hour, which included taking all the stuff off the shelf and removing it from the tool block on the bench, I had it smoothed up nice and neat.  We are ready to start on the Upper Shelf Project.

stay tuned....
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Using the leftover pine shelving board from the original project, I carefully measured the length of the inside shelving and crosscut the 10" wide board to length, then ripped it to form the back and an extension for the top shelf.  I wanted to have the top shelf a bit deeper to hold the cans of wax and finishes.  After aligning them I glued them up and clamped them and left them to dry.

After a BOM break to rest that screaming thigh and knee, I came back out and removed the clamps, locked the new "Shelf" start on the bench and measured and marked the base for screws for strength.  I added five.  Should be enough.

With about fifty years of this, I have accumulated a lot of tools so I have gone out of my way to organize them so I can find them.  Sometimes, I try and remember what I have.  Memory issues.  This is the special tools drawer.  Cool stuff in here.  I used the brass mallet and center punch to mark the location and predrilled for the screws.  I have ruined a few projects by failing to do so.

Next up?  Something I find I don't often need, but I really need when I do. Dowel Centers.  Drill the holes for the dowels in one side.  Put dowel centers in each holes then align the pieces and tap, then you have your guide holes to drill the holes for the dowels in the other side.  Perfect alignment.

stay tuned.  
Laugh
Jim in Okie
I drilled the holes for the dowels on the drill press, careful to space them so they did NOT hit the screws coming in from the other side.  Didn't want to ruin that high priced forstner bit. 
No

Then inserted the dowel centers.

Next I measured, marked the back of the shelf, and aligned the new shelf, and got ready to locate.  Check, rechecked, then checked one more time.  Once I was ready, I puckered up my behind, and tapped the back of the new shelf in line with each dowel center, and .... done.  The marks were on the back of the shelf.

I took the shelf to the drill press and carefully drilled the holes for the other side of the dowels.  once they are all drilled... a dowel was inserted and checked for depth.  Oh... 
Uhoh I came up about 3/8 of an inch short.  NOT going to redrill.  There is a solution.

I trimmed a bit off each of the dowels sticking out of the shelf side, coated the edge of the shelf with glue, aligned the dowels with the holes and seated them with the rawhide mallet.  Sweet, worked out well.

I clamped the shelf tight, and it will have twenty four hours, almost, to set up.  I have dental tomorrow at lunch time.  Have to drive an hour each way.  I pay for living in the boonies.  I don't mind.  Tomorrow after I return, I'll do the sides and we will be done.  NOT going to worry about a finish on the shelf, don't need it on this shelf.

stay tuned, the saga continues.

Yes
Jim in Okie
Very nice work, love the layout.  One tihng I try to do, but don't always do, is leave a little room for future aquisitions.
(06-10-2022, 05:51 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Very nice work, love the layout.  One tihng I try to do, but don't always do, is leave a little room for future aquisitions.

I always do that as well.  When I first started, I just had a razor knife, a half dozen stamps, and a needle and some waxed thread.  I got started after I made a knife for my daughter and she called and said she wanted a sheath as well.  I said:

"I don't know how to do leather work."

She said, "You're retired, YouTube it."

Then she told me she wanted a design carved into the sheath.

I said, "I'll try and make the sheath but I don't know..."

"YouTube."  click.

At first, I had added a few stamps here and there and a few other tools, and my daughter picked up a small plastic tool stand and some additional stamps at a yard sale.  The stand was about a foot wide and four inches deep.  Worked great for ... a couple months.  Then I kept working trying to get better, more tools.

I made the tool bar from a block of 4x4, leaving lots of extra holes.  Watching for sales at Tandy.

I got better, more tools followed.

Then I got tired of walking across the shop for this and that and built the shelf last month.
I intended to add the top rail, now I have....

Eventually... someday, I'll make a Six Foot bottom tool bar, and the shelving unit will match.  
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Got back from the Dentist yesterday afternoon, and the right side of my face was still numb.  Couldn't eat, so what to do?  
Rolleyes  Oh, I know, work in the shop.

I got out and removed the clamps and got right to it.  I laid out the sides and measured and marked, then drilled the six holes for the attachment of the sides.  I drilled three holes in the bottom edge where the side would rest on the vertical side of the shelf.  I drilled three countersunk holes in the side of the side plate where I would attach the piece to the back panel of the shelf.  Using the dowel centers, I marked the holes for the bottom edge holes and drilled those as well.

A square side panel would be boring and I could use any manner of technique to add a curve.  I have all those templates, I have my drafting set with compasses and things.  But, laying on the end of the bench was the top for a cottage cheese container that was just the right size... "That'll do donkee, that'll do."
Perfect arc.  Off to the bandsaw to make the cuts.

After the cut was made, I took the two panels to the belt sander and smoothed the arc, a nice gentle curve.  Looks good enough for a shelf in the workshop.

Time to glue up and screw it together for strength.  Not going to put too much weight on the shelf and the bulk of the weight will be over the main shelf, but I added a center brace in the back for safety.  Done and done.

I'll use this until it no longer holds the tools, and then I'll build the 6' wide tool bar, with the hammer and such going on the upper rack and only punches and stamps on the toolbar.  A 6' toolbar means a 6' shelving unit and I'll incorporate lessons learned on the shelf.  I'm looking forward to the project.  Good for now.  
Big Grin
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
I would say great for now.  Agreed, it is nice to have all the tools organized and right where you need them.