Timing on new bandsaw purchase
Hey all,

I'm ready to spring for a new bandsaw and have chosen the Laguna 1412. As of today, they run $1599 + tax. I know this has increased considerably over the last few years and my question is - do I purchase one now? (There are a few in stock at my local Rockler) or wait for a sale? (With the possibility of not having any in stock and then waiting until next year for delivery). I currently don't own a bandsaw, but I also don't have any specific projects that are time sensitive. I also don't want to wait 6+ mo. To get one however... Wouldn't mind some community think on this decision.
Tia.
You said you don't want to wait 6 moths....I don't see them coming down in that time frame. It's possible there may be some kind of sale, but likely closer to Christmas than this summer. I'd go ahead and buy it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-12-2022, 10:16 AM)larryboy2911 Wrote: Hey all,

I'm ready to spring for a new bandsaw and have chosen the Laguna 1412.  As of today, they run $1599 + tax.  I know this has increased considerably over the last few years and my question is - do I purchase one now? (There are a few in stock at my local Rockler) or wait for a sale? (With the possibility of not having any in stock and then waiting until next year for delivery).  I currently don't own a bandsaw, but I also don't have any specific projects that are time sensitive.  I also don't want to wait 6+ mo. To get one however...  Wouldn't mind some community think on this decision.
Tia.

I always look for a used machine before buying new.  But if you can't find one that meets your needs then I'd buy it sooner rather than wait.  Prices are not likely to come down anytime soon, if ever.  

John
Prices on machines are not likely to be lowered in the next few years.

If laguna has a "sale" , they have typically been $100 bucks off and or free shipping.  A sale is unlikely at this point too give transportation costs.

I'd advise watching the secondary market for a used saw.  I've seen 3-4 Lagunas for sale this year in ATL.
well, there is talk recently about lowering the trump tariffs; if this happens, you'll see lower prices as most of this stuff is made in china. that being said, if Laguna is made in taiwan it might not be an issue. but I'd look into it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-15-2022, 08:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: well, there is talk recently about lowering the trump tariffs; if this happens, you'll see lower prices as most of this stuff is made in china.  that being said, if Laguna is made in taiwan it might not be an issue.  but I'd look into it.

Sad way I look at things these days.  In stock / immediately available is better than a sale. 

Admiral - you are more optimistic than I am - even if tariffs are lowered/removed, prices ain't gonna drop on the street IMO.
(06-12-2022, 10:16 AM)larryboy2911 Wrote: I'm ready to spring for a new bandsaw and have chosen the Laguna 1412.  As of today, they run $1599 + tax.  I know this has increased considerably over the last few years and my question is - do I purchase one now?

Nothing more fun than offering advice about how to spend somebody else's money!

I have a friend with a Laguna 1412 who is annoyed it doesn't have a brake.  This means that after you turn off the machine, the blade silently keeps turning, which he considers a safety hazard.  The wheels are substantial, so the spin  down is not brief like the old Delta 14" bandsaws.  I know it's hard to pick a bandsaw because the price/size/features basically go up indefinitely, but just a thought.  The Laguna 14bx has a brake.

In my experience, when I buy a tool before I'm ready to use it, the purchase is usually not good.  Those are the tools that sit in my drawer, still in the box.  So if it were me, I would just wait and watch the used market.  I watch craigslist in my area and quite frequently 14" bandsaws go up for sale.   I would say if you watch that plus Facebook Marketplace, you are likely to find a used one.

I have a theory that during the pandemic people who used to spend money on vacations or other hobbies went out and bought a bunch of woodworking machines so they had something to do at home.  My prediction is that in the not-too-distant future, they are going to realize they don't really like woodworking and want their garage back, so they will sell.  If this happens, there will be a higher proportion of used tools for sale.  If we have a recession, this effect will probably be larger.

On the new tool side, the manufacturers raised prices very fast.  It seems plausible that if people start spending money on vacation instead of woodworking that demand will soften and they will offer sales like they used to on a regular basis.  For example, the Grizzly Jointer-Planer was about $3000 at the beginning of the pandemic, then went to $4000 and now is on sale through some time in August for $3500.

So my $0.02 suggestion is to wait and look at used tool markets every day. 

Mark
I was in the market last fall. I needed/wanted something with more hp and capacity than my old Delta 14". I looked at several 16-18" Powermatic, Jet and Laguna, both new and used. I ended up with a slightly used 18" Jet. I did have to drive 4 hours to get it but only paid $900. It still had the original blade it. I don't think I would by any large tools new unless I REALLY needed it right now. Then you have to look the supply issues. If you buy something now and then the price goes down you can be glad for the next guy and go change yer drawers, I don't think it's gonna happen.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
I mean if you don't need it asap for any projects, why bother with getting it asap. I would think after the election things are going to change. We can't keep living at 8.5% inflation forever. This is like 1978 all over again. I searched CL for used tools and a few years ago found a JET 14" bandsaw for 400.00 There are deals out there. A potential recession in the works, might make a few sellers out there.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/d...41847.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/d...16280.html

for instance...