Dynatrap Mosquito Control?
I've got a small (less than 1/4 acre) back yard, and we've got more mosquitos than usual.
I've seen good reviews for this Dynatrap insect trap. Apparently. it has a coating on it that releases carbon dioxide to lure in the mosquitos.

Anyone know about them?  Any other recommendations?

I don't doubt you'll catch bugs. But does it reduce the population of mosquitos in your 1/4 acre?

I don't know. Just looked up a few reviews. They all compare it to a light trap. Those are well know to trap bugs, but not reduce popluations.
Many of the best mosquito traps use a species specific pheromone as bait. If you don’t have that species in the area, you can often still buy the trap, but it does a lot less.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I haven’t tried this yet but it makes sense to me

https://youtu.be/D-GNd2OaU8Y
Ray
(06-14-2022, 02:36 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Many of the best mosquito traps use a species specific pheromone as bait.  If you don’t have that species in the area, you can often still buy the trap, but it does a lot less.

Do those actually drive down the local population?  Japanese beetle pheromone traps attract more into the yard than they catch...best bet is to put one of those in your neighbor's yard.  Not sure about mosquito pheromone traps...
Call a pro, not worrth playing dickaround. 75 bux gets me at least 1/4 acre and ZERO skeeters.
Yea, you can buy the spray at the farm store...BUT, the pro adds an exciter that causes the skeeters to fly up, right into the spray fog they lay down. Yes, its more of a fine mist/fog than a nozzle spray, applied with a leaf blower/spray tank and inductor nozzle.
Usually lasts at least a month, rainfall dependant.

Ed
I have been using Dynatrap for 3 years now.  We have 10 acres and I can definitely tell that there are a lot more mosquitos outside the roughly 1/4 acre perimeter around the trap than inside it.  It will not clear the area completely, but looking at the amount caught at the beginning of the season compared to the rest, there is a definite reduction.  

Few important points:
- I hang a lure appropriate for the area on the side of it and change it every 4-weeks. I use this one
- The first time I used it, it filled up almost completely with many moths, beetles, etc within one weekend. I don't want to kill those so I had to build an enclosure covered with 1/8" mesh.  That filtered out the big bugs and mosquitos still get in.
“ Do those actually drive down the local population? Japanese beetle pheromone traps attract more into the yard than they catch...best bet is to put one of those in your neighbor's yard. Not sure about mosquito pheromone traps...”

The pheromone traps I see at the trade shows aren’t for my local mosquito species. I honestly don’t know.

We have fairly good success treating for mosquitos with a Stihl SR 200 pushing cedar oil. We also treat the lawns for ticks. We can effectively keep them from making a home on a residential lawn. The problem we have is the neighbors don’t treat, and mosquitos fly. The houses we have problems with back up to overgrown properties, wetlands, heavy woods, etc. we can make a dent, but can’t change habitat on the adjacent property.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Are you treating the shrubs, etc with the cedar oil to encourage them to spend their daytime elsewhere?
Oddly enough I was reading how Disney uses garlic to help get rid of all the mosquitos down in FL. Some places sell it ready to spray and say it works for 3-4 weeks or if you google it you can find the right sweet spot of garlic and mineral oil to where it drives them away but it won't make it so bad that you won't be able to be outdoors