Scale for size reference.

Thanks 

[attachment=42781]

[attachment=42782]
(06-13-2022, 01:07 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Hi
Any thoughts on the use of these tools?

Scale for size reference.

Thanks 

Bottom two are what I'd call a Cape chisel.  For metal work, useful to have if the need arises.  Sort of used the same way that a woodworking chisel would be but for metal.  The bottom one looks like edge is either very dull or reground and is realistically just a cold chisel now.  Top one i can't tell - maybe a bearing scraper?

Andrew
(06-13-2022, 01:47 PM)andrewb Wrote: Bottom two are what I'd call a Cape chisel.  For metal work, useful to have if the need arises.  Sort of used the same way that a woodworking chisel would be but for metal.  The bottom one looks like edge is either very dull or reground and is realistically just a cold chisel now.  Top one i can't tell - maybe a bearing scraper?

Andrew
They are cape chisels..I have had a couple for many years..seldon had a use for them..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the answers. They were my grandfather’s tools.

Mark
1980 found me as a Pipefitter Apprentice and bottom ones look like Gouge Chisels we had to remove broken pieces of threaded male pipe broken off / stuck in female fittings .
What the Heck, Give it a Try
A Cape chisel was also used to cut new key-way slots onto steel shafts....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I learned something new again. I have a few "cape chisels" and I never knew what they were for.
(06-20-2022, 09:05 AM)bandit571 Wrote: A Cape chisel was also used to cut new key-way slots onto steel shafts....

A very crude keyway.. but still a keyway....tough to do on a hardened steel shaft.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

And, will also clean up any "Boogered up" slots....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bottom one is a ruler, but some people call it a scale.
(Sorry guys couldn’t resist)