Band Saw
I have a Sears Craftsman Model # 113-243310, 12" band saw. On the large wheels, it has what they refer to as "wheel tires'.Basically, large rubber bands. Should these tires be glued to the wheels? The top one is not. The bottom one appears to be.

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(06-14-2022, 06:53 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have a Sears Craftsman Model # 113-243310, 12" band saw. On the large wheels, it has what they refer to as "wheel tires'.Basically, large rubber bands. Should these tires be glued to the wheels? The top one is not. The bottom one appears to be.

Thanks  Greg

Those wheels are not supposed to be glued on.  If they were , you’ll need to pull the wheel and clean off the residue before installing the new tires WITHOUT glue.
The tire is not glued on. The tire has a groove to ride in on the wheel. When I install the blade, and adjust tracking, everything is fine as long as I turn it by hand. The second I apply power, the tire rides up out of the groove. Too far one way, and it rides to the inside. Too far the other way, it rides to the outside. There seems to be no "sweet" spot.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(06-14-2022, 08:23 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: The tire is not glued on. The tire has a groove to ride in on the wheel. When I install the blade, and adjust tracking, everything is fine as long as I turn it by hand. The second I apply power, the tire rides up out of the groove. Too far one way, and it rides to the inside. Too far the other way, it rides to the outside. There seems to be no "sweet" spot.

If the tires are walking it sounds like they may be loose, from age, and it's time to replace them.  Make sure the grooves are completely clean before installing the new ones.  

John
From what I have found so far, the tires are NLA.

Edit Found them in the jungle book. Ordered
(06-14-2022, 12:25 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: From what I have found so far, the tires are NLA.

Edit  Found them in the jungle book. Ordered

Jungle book?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Amazon  i.e. "The Jungle Book"
Tires eventually stretch and loosen. You can extend the life (quite extensively) by glueing them down with contact glue. The rule of thumb is glue for rubber and no glue for urethane.

To add glue, use a round screwdriver shaft to lift the band and, as you run the shaft forward, smear in a little contact glue behind it. Leave for 24 hours to cure.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-15-2022, 10:54 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Tires eventually stretch and loosen. You can extend the life (quite extensively) by glueing them down with contact glue. The rule of thumb is glue for rubber and no glue for urethane.

To add glue, use a round screwdriver shaft to lift the band and, as you run the shaft forward, smear in a little contact glue behind it. Leave for 24 hours to cure. 

Going to be very difficult,  if not impossible to find rubber tires for that bandsaw.    

Best to FORGET GLUEING .
3M 5200 will glue on poly tires rather nicely.
All band saw tires should be glued on, poly or otherwise.  Maybe if you're using .020 x 1/4" blades exclusively, you may get by for a while by not gluing on the tires.  Non glued on tires will last several years.  Glued on tires will last for decades.  Its your choice and consequences.
Once the tires are glued on, for the best results in tracking, they should be machine crowned.