Install new outside faucet
The press fittings they are referring to are used on copper pressure lines. Plumbers are using them all the time. Especially on old work where it can be hard to get the water to completely shut off, making it difficult to solder. The biggest concern they seem to have is nicking to O'ring during assembly.
shifty
Guess we better quit building house, decks and stairs out of wood. Sooner or later they will rot or get eaten by termites or some such and fail.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(07-11-2022, 04:42 PM)blackhat Wrote: Guess we better quit building house, decks and stairs out of wood. Sooner or later they will rot or get eaten by termites or some such and fail.
Those items can be repaired easy but what happens if you are away for a couple of days and a sharkbite lets go.
I work maintenance in a building that the oldest part was built in 1964. We have a variety of plumbing in the building. I have seen copper and galvanized both start spraying in the middle of a run. We are regularly having to replace pipes. Some has been replaced with copper, some galvanized, some with pex. I have had both copper and galvanized develop another pin hole in less than 10 years. Haven't had the pex all that long, but hasn't been a problem so far. I have used some sharkbites in places where it's not getting buried and haven't had one fail yet. I have had plumbers use pro press fittings and haven't had any of those fail yet either.
shifty
(07-11-2022, 05:26 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Those items can be repaired easy but what happens if you are away for a couple of days and a sharkbite lets go.

The same thing that happens if any plumbing of any kind  fails.  Washer hoses fail.  toilet supply lines fail.  I've seen copper fail. I've seen pex fail.

Some of you guys are missing the point entirely.  
Rolleyes

Everything has a life expectancy - some longer than others.  I’m saying the life expectancy of the shark bites is too short because of that rubber sealing ring.  Pinhole leaks is a real thing in copper lines in places that have corrosive water.  Plumbers that use copper (instead of PEX or CPVC) in those areas are incompetent or disingenuous at best. 

Selecting the right material for the job has always been a cornerstone of the building industry.  I am saying this is one of those times - the rubber isn’t suitable for the lifespan of the majority if systems they are installed in. It’s a great temporary solution- no more.  There’s no cost savings in the short run either cause plumbers aren’t discounting the fees for the installation.