Install new outside faucet
I need to replace a frost proof sill coco at Goalie’s this weekend. I looked at a local store and they have them with A Sharkbite already attached and ready to go. Easy peasy

(06-15-2022, 06:32 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: In a situation like this, I would also use Sharkbites.

(06-16-2022, 06:57 AM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: Sharkbite turns this into a 5 minute job.

(06-16-2022, 09:25 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I bought everything I need to include Shark Bite connectors. Now I just need to work up the nerve to do the job. The guy at Ace HW that I've trusted for years and sid the Shark Bite in my application would be good.
Gregor1

Fellas - sharkbites are a TIME BOMB waiting to happen   Kinda like Polybutylene piping of yore.   Remember when that was the latest, greatest, fastest and cheapest thing going ?

What keeps the fittings from leaking ?   A rubber o-ring right ? 
And what happens to all rubber components in a plumbing system ?  

That's right...................................they wear, get brittle , and disintegrate, causing a leak.    Which is manageable on a kitchen faucet or a garden hose connection or toilet shutoff.   But on a pipe joint, especially one that is hard to access or buried inside a wall or slab................it's a DISASTER waiting to happen.

You've been warned.
When you sweat copper pipe that has had water in it you must make sure it is absolutely dry. 1 drop of water a foot away may cause the joint to fail. This is especially important when there is a closed-loop, as the water vapor (steam) has nowhere to go.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
(06-18-2022, 02:56 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: When you sweat copper pipe that has had water in it you must make sure it is absolutely dry. 1 drop of water a foot away may cause the joint to fail. This is especially important when there is a closed-loop, as the water vapor (steam) has nowhere to go.

Drain it best you can and then shove a piece of bread in there.  You’ll be fine.
Well, you done yet?
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
(06-18-2022, 01:52 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Fellas - sharkbites are a TIME BOMB waiting to happen   Kinda like Polybutylene piping of yore.   Remember when that was the latest, greatest, fastest and cheapest thing going ?

What keeps the fittings from leaking ?   A rubber o-ring right ? 
And what happens to all rubber components in a plumbing system ?  

That's right...................................they wear, get brittle , and disintegrate, causing a leak.    Which is manageable on a kitchen faucet or a garden hose connection or toilet shutoff.   But on a pipe joint, especially one that is hard to access or buried inside a wall or slab................it's a DISASTER waiting to happen.

You've been warned.
Well I did it. I bought sharkbites and chickened out and paid a plumber to do the dirty deed. I'm 75 yo and am thinking the'll hold until the Lord takes me home.
Jim
Thanks

Meanwhile, my son reports a pinhole leak mid-run in copper pipe in a crawl space. So even copper has faults and risks.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
(06-18-2022, 01:52 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Fellas - sharkbites are a TIME BOMB waiting to happen   Kinda like Polybutylene piping of yore.   Remember when that was the latest, greatest, fastest and cheapest thing going ?

How long a time bomb?   I installed Sharkbites in 2009. I was remodeling the upstairs laundry room into a bathroom.  The washer and dryer went downstairs to a 'temporary' location.  I  also put in a small half bath downstairs.  I used sharkbite couplers and valves to extend the water lines to the 'temporary' location.  We sold the house in 2014.   I know for a fact the washer and dryer are still in that location.  The half bath the new owners got the fixtures gone but the water lines were capped... with sharkbite caps.    So the time bomb takes at least a decade to go off.

(06-14-2022, 09:45 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: For a 3/4 x 3/4 x !/2 tee, you would cut out 1/2". For a 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 tee, you would cut out 3/4". It's easier to clean (i.e. sand with plumbers cloth) before you cut the pipe. Clean the fitting too, even if it's new and shiny. You will have to take out a few hangers to get the 3/4" extra space needed to physically install the fitting. If you've done much soldering at all, you'll know if it's a good joint before you even turn the water on. You'll also know that with one drop of water during the soldering process, all bets are off. 

That being said; I wouldn't hesitate using a Shark-bite ("push to connect") fitting for that application. They're not the same as a compression fitting that uses a Ferrell and compression nut. Those work fine for me in 1/4" and 3/8" O.D. sizes, but I've had issues with larger sizes. 

Plumbers used to say that Shark-bite fittings won't last long term like soldered fittings will. "Those O-rings are gonna dry out an' it'll leak." I don't hear as many critical reviews now that most of them are changing to copper press fittings.

So how long has it been since most plumbers knew how to pour and chinkkk lead and oakum joints on cast iron drain pipes. Cast iron is still required in a lot of commercial applications but a rubber sleeve and hose clamps are acceptable. (Plumbers stripped so many of the clamps that apprentices are now taught to use a "special tool" to prevent over-torquing.) Plumbers are moving away from soldering to press fittings due to "open flame fire hazards". (Yea right!) So I suppose they're also using press fittings instead of threading black iron because the cutting oil is dangerous to the environment.

I'm not saying that I have enough faith in Shark-bite (push-to-connect) fittings that I would bury them in a wall, but licensed plumbers are counting on that O-ring in their press fitting not to fail; even when buried in a wall or ceiling. I don't see a significant difference.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(07-09-2022, 02:12 PM)crokett™ Wrote: How long a time bomb?   I installed Sharkbites in 2009. I was remodeling the upstairs laundry room into a bathroom.  The washer and dryer went downstairs to a 'temporary' location.  I  also put in a small half bath downstairs.  I used sharkbite couplers and valves to extend the water lines to the 'temporary' location.  We sold the house in 2014.   I know for a fact the washer and dryer are still in that location.  The half bath the new owners got the fixtures gone but the water lines were capped... with sharkbite caps.    So the time bomb takes at least a decade to go off.

Hard to say, it’ll vary by location and water quality.  My sense is it’s a 20-25yr lifespan - tops. And while it’s not an immediate problem, do you really want to be the one stuck with failed fittings inside your walls at any point in time ?

Quote:I'm not saying that I have enough faith in Shark-bite (push-to-connect) fittings that I would bury them in a wall, but licensed plumbers are counting on that O-ring in their press fitting not to fail; even when buried in a wall or ceiling. I don't see a significant difference.

Thought the difference would be glaringly obvious.  

A supply line is under constant pressure and a failure can dispense hundreds of gallons of water in a few minutes if there’s a failure. Thousands if you’re not home.    A DWV pipe isn’t under pressure and isn’t being used (usually) when you’re away from home.  Cast is more often used in the vertical , posing even less risk if there’s a leak.