Lumber prices
This is an old post, but since folks occasionally ask about lumber prices I thought I would post this.  Kansas Hardwoods mostly does custom work, but also some retail.  They are located in north central Kansas just east of Manhattan.  I might add that when I've been there they let me sort through the lumber land pick what I want.  Good folks.

Kansas Hardwoods post: 

"Our kiln has been unloaded, and we have a great selection of dried local hardwood lumber for sale right now! Here is a list of what we have in stock:

Basswood 8/4 - 400 BF @ $3.15/BF
Basswood 16/4 - 300 BF @ $3.50/BF
Cedar 4/4 - 1,100 BF @ $3.00/BF
Cedar 8/4 - 800 BF @ $3.50/BF
Cherry 4/4 - 450 BF @ $5.00/BF
Hackberry 4/4 - 1,000 BF @ $2.75/BF
Hackberry 5/4 - 100 BF @ $3.00/BF
Hackberry 8/4 - 400 BF @ $3.40/BF
Hickory 4/4 - 800 BF @ $3.50/BF
Honey Locust 4/4 - 300 BF @ $3.75/BF
Maple, Soft 4/4 - 1,000 BF @ $3.25/BF
Maple, Soft 8/4 - 400 BF @ $4.00/BF
Red Oak 4/4 - 1,000 BF @ $3.10/BF
White Oak 4/4 - 150 BF @ $3.10/BF
Sycamore QS 4/4 - 400 BF @ $4.00/BF
Walnut 4/4 - 1,100 BF @ $5.50/BF
Walnut 8/4 - 900 BF @ $7.00/BF
Mulberry 4/4 - 160 BF @ $3.50/BF

The prices shown are in the rough. Straight edging adds .20 cents per board foot, and planing adds .25 cents per board foot."
(06-20-2022, 04:24 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: Was just wondering what the price of wood is in different areas of the country. This is NW IL, and Eastern Iowa.

Within two hours of me (DC region) prices vary greatly. 

8/4 walnut runs from $8-17/bf.  Cherry $3-8/bf.

This really isn't a question with an answer.
Semper fi,
Brad

I have no affiliation with this outfit and have never been there. I just have it bookmarked in case. They're located in Western Lancaster County PA.

http://www.hollistersawmill.com/fine_lumber.html

Excellent selection of kiln-dried and air-dried fine lumber.
World famous Pennsylvania Cherry
$1.00 - $5.00 bf*
Black Walnut

$1.00 - $5.00 bf*
Red Oak

$1.00 - $4.50 bf*
White Oak

$1.00 - $5.00 bf*, including quarter sawn
Poplar

$1.00 - $2.65 bf*
Ash
  $1.00 - $4.00 bf*

All prices are marked on each board!

*Select pieces of lumber may be higher priced.  These select pieces are extraordinary, highly figured pieces that really stand out from the pile. 

Quite a spread from $1 to $5. This list doesn't break down 4/4 or 8/4, figured vs. plain etc. I guess it'd be worth a call if you're interested.
(09-30-2023, 07:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: This really isn't a question with an answer.

Agreed.

Lumber is a commodity. So there will be wild price swings based on the region and yard, based on their volume, if they are a retail or wholesale supplier, grade, etc.

Example: I buy from a wholesale supplier, and have bought Cherry and Red Oak this year(either S&B or F1F) in 8', 10' or 12' lengths for in the ballpark of $2.25 bf. But ive bought about 7k bf so far this year.

Every now and again a smoking deal presents itself (if your in a relationship with the seller). Over the summer my supplier got their hands on some "sappy" cherry, S&B grade, but basically lighter pink than what you would think of cherry. Basically an 75-80% yield for face color being pink. I got about 2.3k BF at a $1 a foot. 

Before the covid debacle, I bought 1COM quite often, and price was always $1.5/bf or so. Its not easily sourced these days (especially as much as I buy), and by the time its tracked down and you pay freight moving it around, I just buy the better graded stuff that's stocked now. 

At the end of the day, margins are so small on lumber for a seller, and as a hobbyist, form a good relationship with a yard and see if they will discount a larger buy. In my experience before I was in business, every lumberyard would give a break at 100/bf, 250bf, 500bf....so if you go in to buy 30-40 feet for a project, if you get a break for 100, just do that, you get a better price, have more stock to select from to match grain/color and have a bit of stock on hand.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(09-30-2023, 07:25 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Within two hours of me (DC region) prices vary greatly. 

8/4 walnut runs from $8-17/bf.  Cherry $3-8/bf.

This really isn't a question with an answer.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but Hicksvill Planing Mill, north of Hagerstown is worth the drive. The prices are generally $1 to $1.50 lower per board foot than retailers and a . much bigger selection. I know my local retailer in Annapolis buys from Hicksville. Cash only at Hicksville, Mennonites don't do credit cards.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(06-21-2022, 05:12 PM)Rob Young Wrote: PDF : 

Here's the current 2023 list:

https://www.forgedofwood.com/hardwood-lumber-price-list
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-05-2023, 05:28 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I know it's a bit of a drive for you but Hicksvill Planing Mill, north of Hagerstown is worth the drive. The prices are generally $1 to $1.50 lower per board foot than retailers and a . much bigger selection. I know my local retailer in Annapolis buys from Hicksville. Cash only at Hicksville, Mennonites don't do credit cards.

That's where I go!  It's 2.25 hours away, so I make the drive when I need to buy $1k and up in lumber.  For smaller amounts, I visit a supplier in La Plata, about 45 minutes away.  The cost difference is a wash then. 

They do take credit cards!  That's how I pay there.  I love them.  Always busy, so don't be in a rush, but they're super friendly and helpful.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-06-2023, 09:27 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: That's where I go!  It's 2.25 hours away, so I make the drive when I need to buy $1k and up in lumber.  For smaller amounts, I visit a supplier in La Plata, about 45 minutes away.  The cost difference is a wash then. 

They do take credit cards!  That's how I pay there.  I love them.  Always busy, so don't be in a rush, but they're super friendly and helpful.

Would that be Md Select Hardwoods, Dennis? Great guy, great selection. Buy a lot of stuff from him or the local Amish
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I was getting charged nearly $19/bdft for unsurfaced 5/4 walnut yesterday...
This is the sales receipt from the last time I bought any wood. I live in NE Iowa. The receipt says 21 . I probably have about 300 BF of cherry and about 400 BF of eastern White pine in my storage area.  Which is why there is a 21 date on the receipt. When I buy,  I sort through the pile for what I get, so usually there is no reference to grade. The short piece was a cut off so I could get it in the truck. It was throne in, I didn't have to pay for the drop off.

Lumber usually comes from trees 6 ft. to 10 foot around here. One can get some really nice lumber from a 6 foot long tree and it is better to cut it up than let it rot on the ground because it is to short. the tree can have a usable length of 14 foot so 6 is cut of to make it a more common length of 8 Ff. The price is usually a little less for a short and it is up to the person who is buying as to what he wants, according to what he or she is building.
This is a common practice here in Iowa. In other parts of the country they may do it differently

Prices are fairly steady around here. Ash trees are dying right and left around here so it is real cheap. But this is 23 not 21. 

I just started a wood working club here in the area. There has been 2 meetings so far and 2 of the 12 members have portable saw mills so lumber is not to high here. Walnut is quite plentiful around here and since I am not a fan of walnut.  if I wanted some I wouldn't consider paying more than $3.50 a BD Ft FAS. and I would get what I wanted at that price probably less.

The boards up against the door are Hard Maple so you can see the quality of the wood. One gets to know the mill and the quality of their drying process so board quality it doesn't inter in when buying. Especially when selecting each board yourself.

Anyway,

I hope this isn't taken as a gloat because it isn't . These are just  the prices around here. The down side of living here is the nearest big box is 60 miles away and the nearest wood working store is 2 1/2 hours away.

Tom