Dryer repair
I have an LG dryer that is making some grinding noises sometimes when it is on.  Initially it was sporadic, but is getting more frequent.  The sounds is also there if I turn the drum by hand when the machine is off.  My assumption is that it is one of the drum support rollers.  I looked at the service manual on how to get the dryer open, and let's just say this model is...complicated.  Pretty much have to take the whole thing apart (control panel at top rear, then the top panel, then the front of the dryer, front frame, air duct from the frame, and removal of the tub drum).  This sounds rather time consuming and not something that I'm going to want to repeat.  I assume that if I open it up and do this I'm going to want to swap out all the drum support rollers.  Anything else I should just swap out while I have it open (belt?).  And for parts am I fine with just grabbing whatever compatible part is on Amazon, or am I better off getting OEM parts? (which appear to be significantly more expensive.)

Just watched a 6 min. video on Repair clinic. Yea, there's a lot of tear down, but it looks like a dozen screws and a few electrical connectors to get to the drum support rollers. Apparently a #2 phillips, 14 mm wrench, and 10 mm wrench or socket are all the tools necessary. I'd add a parts bin, vacuum cleaner, and a piggy bank for all the coins you'll find.

It's a good time to clean the ducts too. If you've got a backpack blower go ahead and clear them from the outside while your wife holds a shopping bag on the inside duct.. I've heard it works great but you have to set up a video camera in the laundry room first. We didn't even get a picture from JosephP.
Big Grin
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-26-2022, 10:47 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Just watched a 6 min. video on Repair clinic. Yea, there's a lot of tear down, but it looks like a dozen screws and a few electrical connectors to get to the drum support rollers. Apparently a #2 phillips, 14 mm wrench, and 10 mm wrench or socket are all the tools necessary. I'd add a parts bin, vacuum cleaner, and a piggy bank for all the coins you'll find.

It's a good time to clean the ducts too. If you've got a backpack blower go ahead and clear them from the outside while your wife holds a shopping bag on the inside duct.. I've heard it works great but you have to set up a video camera in the laundry room first. We didn't even get a picture from JosephP.
Big Grin
I've seen that video.  From what I can tell it appears the ones with the controls on the front are easier to open up than the ones with the control panel on the top.  Still doable, just seems more involved.

And totally planning on cleaning the ducts.  That other thread was part of what made me think it was probably time to do this.  When I initially started hearing the sound it was so sporadic that I didn't want to open the machine and then not be able to find the source of the sound.  Think I am past that concern now.  I'll probably use one of the brushes as opposed to the leaf blower though
Smile

(06-27-2022, 09:51 AM)msweig Wrote: I've seen that video.  From what I can tell it appears the ones with the controls on the front are easier to open up than the ones with the control panel on the top.  Still doable, just seems more involved.

And totally planning on cleaning the ducts.  That other thread was part of what made me think it was probably time to do this.  When I initially started hearing the sound it was so sporadic that I didn't want to open the machine and then not be able to find the source of the sound.  Think I am past that concern now.  I'll probably use one of the brushes as opposed to the leaf blower though
Smile

I just went through this.  Check the drum itself.  Mine had been making noise for some time before I noticed last summer that the drum had a crack right near the front. I am not sure what caused it or why I had not seen it when the noise started. Not wanting to deal with it, I let it go and the crack got larger until I could not ignore it anymore.  I just replaced the drum about a month ago.  I also replaced the front guide wheels because I figured they had gotten chewed up and that is what happened. Now it is much quieter.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Not sure the drum has rollers Usually a teflon bearing that it ride on around the opening of the drum. Pretty easy fix. Should be a YouTube video.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-27-2022, 09:51 AM)msweig Wrote: ...I'll probably use one of the brushes as opposed to the leaf blower though
Smile

Chicken!
Laugh

Agreed on the other comments about replacing rollers, belts, guides, etc. while you have it torn apart.
I became a pro at opening up our LG dryer. Over the years replaced the roller supports, drum gasket, heating element and some sensor deep in side. After you take it apart 1 or 2 times its a piece of cake. Just watch the video and go slow - take pics so you remember how it goes back together. Biggest hurdle to me was getting the belt back on but that got easier too.
Oh great... wouldn't you know I just got a call from my wife telling me that our dryer is starting to make odd noises...
One of these days I might actually learn NOT to read all of the posts here...
(06-28-2022, 10:05 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Oh great... wouldn't you know I just got a call from my wife telling me that our dryer is starting to make odd noises...

Tell her the first step is to clean out the vent to see if that gets rid of the noise.   Read my instructions in that thread.

She won't call you again to tell you it is making noise.
(06-28-2022, 10:05 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Oh great... wouldn't you know I just got a call from my wife telling me that our dryer is starting to make odd noises...

From before I had my Apple II E until I got fast at Googling, I had subscriptions to both Popular Science and Mechanics. I always wanted to know how things work, and was reading them before I was a teenager. But; when I was paying for the subscriptions, I was going to get my money's worth! I read every article.

So years go by and one day at lunch break I'm sitting at the picnic table with a cute college student working the summer with us. When the conversation somehow morphed into a discussion relating nuclear fission to nuclear fusion, all the other men left. I heard later from her Dad, that she told some of those men that she thought I was a Carpenter. They told her I was; and a Cabinetmaker, and Electrician, and a pretty good Plumber too. We laughed about it but it did feel good. I got my moneys worth. 

B.T.W. My F.I.L repaired the nuclear instrumentation and testing equipment at places like M.I.T. and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical center, so it wasn't all from the magazines, but they did help me talk with him about his work.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"