Raised panel door
(07-02-2022, 05:13 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: Another newbie question. I was talking to a long time wood worker today. He doesn't do anything anymore because of health concerns. He told me when gluing up panels for doors, or whatever, he never glued up anything wider than about 3 1/2". Even if he had some nice 8 -10" wide material, he would rip it down, and glue it back together. Is this a good practice? Is it necessary? When you glue it back together, do you flip every other board?  Thanks  Greg

This person might be a long time woodworker but not a very talented one.  Imagine how crappy this piece would look with the side panel made from 4" strips.  I have similar Chester County case pieces with the side panel 15" wide.  

Properly made with properly dry wood there is no reason for a panel to cup after assembly.  And,  a well made frame will keep a panel flat in any case.  Alwas assemble panels for looks and forget the wives tales.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bill Tindall