Krenov Style Apron Planes Batch III
I would like to reserve one in all-ebony.
(08-14-2022, 07:42 PM)BassMD Wrote: I would like to reserve one in all-ebony.

PM sent.
Update: The replacement motor was delayed and now set to arrive Wednesday. This time I received notice with a tracking number so things are looking better. The delay has allowed me to come to the decision to make more planes. Batch III however will still be the last batch of Ebony bodied planes seeing I only have enough Ebony body blanks on hand for 2 more in addition to the ones already reserved. If you would like to reserve one these two please send me a note. With the cost of Ebony being so high it isn't practical for me to order Ebony for future planes. The planes that have been made and in the process of being made are from Ebony I have had on hand for years so using it was not a cost issue really.

I do have a number of East Indian Rosewood body blanks I will use moving forward. I do have plenty of Ebony stock for sides if anyone is interested in a Rosewood / Ebony combo.

That's all for now,
The new bandsaw motor is in and this weekend I'll be back to the bench making planes. I do still have two Ebony body blanks on hand if anyone is interested in reserving one in this last batch of Ebony bodied planes. Along with this Ebony bodied batch I will make a couple Rosewood bodied planes as well. These will most likely have Curly Maple sides with a Rosewood hybrid pin and wedge. Watch for photos in the weekends ahead.
A wood combo I'm thinking about for an apron plane, riftsawn Bocote with Ebony sides. It would be a hard wearing plane and I think it looks great. Hybrid wedge pin & wedge would be matching Bocote with brass rod. What do you guys think?

(09-30-2022, 04:18 PM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: A wood combo I'm thinking about for an apron plane, riftsawn Bocote with Ebony sides. It would be a hard wearing plane and I think it looks great. Hybrid wedge pin & wedge would be matching Bocote with brass rod. What do you guys think?

I think that that would be a beautiful combination.

Of course, I also think that the riftsawn Bocote with very curly hard Maple sides would be a beautiful combination. I do like the wedge matching the body so that it does not distract the eye when in use.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-30-2022, 06:04 PM)iclark Wrote: I think that that would be a beautiful combination.

Of course, I also think that the riftsawn Bocote with very curly hard Maple sides would be a beautiful combination. I do like the wedge matching the body so that it does not distract the eye when in use.

+1
I'll make a Bocote with Curly Maple sides, it does sound like it would be a looker.
While I'm working on batch III of the apron planes I decided to look at what stock I have on hand for future planes. I found I have plenty of Rosewood, Bocote, Curly Maple, and other cutoffs from years gone by. Back then I made and sold wood guitar picks that I sold on Etsy. I made hundreds of them! I recall a week in December 2012 or so that I had close to $2000 in sales. These were mostly for Christmas gifts. Well as with anything, others noticed and it didn't take long for Etsy to get flooded with other woodworkers making picks.

If your interested in reserving an apron plane send me a note.

Here is another offering if anyone is interested. Riftsawn Rosewood body, Rosewood hybrid pin and wedge with Birdseye Maple sides.